Discuss Wavin TP-83 room thermostat? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Weirdfish

I've just popped over from the other side, ( plumbers forum ), to ask if the above mentioned room stat is a type of intelligent stat, in other words can it be taught to know how long the system it's controlling takes to reach its preset temp, and to come on before it gets too low, ( hopefully that makes sense ).

Are you talking about PID control where the thermostat would predict or preempt when heat will be required following the trend of the ambient temp rather than the actual value?

I just had a look on their website for a tech sheet of even an owners manual, I'd would have stood a better chance of getting one by going to my local McDonalds. Their website is worse than useless, maybe if you can find a pdf please post a link and I'll have a look.

Deleted as link didn't work

• The TP-83 is a wireless indoor thermostat with a programmable
weekly heating schedule. It is designed for indoor temperature
control which balances economy with comfort.

• Temperature adjustment can be performed by simply turning the setting knob.

• 24 hour, 7 day programmable time clock

• Manual / auto / part modes of operation

• Optimising temperature control device (learns heat up and cool down
cycles of system over first 48 hours of installation)

• Displays the current temperature on the display

yes it learns by itself

Is it the same as the Jablotron thermostat? I may be getting different search results than you because I'm not in the UK.

What you've highlighted above.
Or am I not getting it, does it teach itself, or, do you have to input certain settings etc, or, set it to a certain prog.

From what I gather you set what time you want it to be warm by and not when you want it to come on if you know what I mean ? and the thermostat learns how quick it takes to reach required temperature so the boiler isn't running unnecessary. For example if you program you want it warm by 6:00am and up to ~20 the thermostat learns how long this takes. If it only takes 15mins to get to required temp at 6:00am then the thermostat won't switch the heating on until 5:45am as it's learnt how long it takes.

That's the impression I also get from the info. It's not PID as in truly predictive control, it kinda takes note how long the place takes to reach the set temperature so the time you set is the time the place is warm rather than the time the heating switches on.

That makes sense, but do you have to set times for it to work, or will it work if you just set a temp, say 23, then just let it do its own thing.
we work weird and wonderful hours so can't really set accurate times for it to come on and off, so setting a set temp manually is best for us.

It's on this setting at the moment, but what's happening is that it's coming on when it gets to 22.8, then, because it's waited until it's gone under the set temp by.2 its dropping even further before it gets to 23.2 when it switches off.
i might add that its controlling UFH so it takes a bit longer to heat up the slab of concrete floor.

It's on this setting at the moment, but what's happening is that it's coming on when it gets to 22.8, then, because it's waited until it's gone under the set temp by.2 its dropping even further before it gets to 23.2 when it switches off.
i might add that its controlling UFH so it takes a bit longer to heat up the slab of concrete floor.

That'll be the hysteresis curve of the thermostat working exactly as it should! You can't have it switching on and off at exactly 23 degrees otherwise it would be constantly switching every fraction of a second.

Sounds like it's working fine, if you are not happy about how it's working maybe change the thermostat. Another quick flick at the manual and it looks like you can change the parameters of the thermostat so it goes +/- by 0.1 instead of the factory default of +/- 0.2

I get what you're both saying, and I did read about changing parameters as you suggest, but I still think it would allow the floor to lose most of its heat before clicking in to start to bring it back up to temp.
i just thought that it might be able to teach itself how long it actually takes to bring the room back up to the set temp, and then switch the boiler on early enough so as not to lose too much heat from the UFH.
or will it take a different, more intelligent, type of stat to do this.

Reply to Wavin TP-83 room thermostat? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net