Discuss Weatherproof / Vandal Proof keyswitch in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Am trying to find a weatherproof and vandal proof keyswitch. This is for turning on pathway lights up to a church from the gate rather than turning them on from inside the church. Area is a bit rough, to say the least, so must be vandalproof as well as weatherproof. Have found this switch, SE1000 which seems ideal except it will only switch 30VDC. The switch I need must be capable of switching 230V.

why export 230v out to gate just get a 230v to 24dc power unit controlling a contactor with a 24v dc coil which supplies the 230 power to lights, this way its safe even when the rough uns brick it and destroy it.
Dont be confused and reserved its a simple and easy to wire method and safe for the user.

Last edited:
There are two lights for the pathway, one at the gate and the other over the church door. So we already have 230v exported to the gate. I was thinking to change existing switch in the church for the gate light to a FSU that controls both gate and door lights, then install a switch at the gate to turn them both on from there.
As for RF, I have already considered this and done a rough quote for them but it is not cheap, I am unsure about the effectiveness of wireless waves through thick church walls, and you run into all sorts of problems putting things onto church walls whether inside or out. Oh yes, and any alterations to wiring inside the church is likely to involve Pyro - something I have seen and heard about but never had the pleasure of working with or installing.

why not use a send/receive IR beam across the gate.

link don't work!

RF transmitter would be my choice too. I'm about to fit one to my car so I can fire up the diesel heater and defrost it without leaving the house!

The link was to Screwfix, but is for a MK keyswitch

20A MK Metalclad keyswitch

hmmm - there seems to be some sort of block on links to Screwfix from this forum.

If you go to Screwfix website (if I'm allowed to say that on here!) and search for 'MK Metla Clad 20A key switch' you will see what I am on about.

What sort of products can I use to make this weatherproof (gels, gaskets etc)? I can put a cover on the keyswitch, available from Maplins for a couple a quid.

I know you can get this in an IP56 enclosure from RS, but it is a lot more expensive and would be too big to fit where I would need to put it.

hi

just a thought...... have a look at eterna socket boxes available in single, double & 1+1. and they are lockable..... with a padlock that is.

regards
gary

The link was to Screwfix, but is for a MK keyswitch

20A MK Metalclad keyswitch

hmmm - there seems to be some sort of block on links to Screwfix from this forum.

If you go to Screwfix website (if I'm allowed to say that on here!) and search for 'MK Metla Clad 20A key switch' you will see what I am on about.

What sort of products can I use to make this weatherproof (gels, gaskets etc)? I can put a cover on the keyswitch, available from Maplins for a couple a quid.

I know you can get this in an IP56 enclosure from RS, but it is a lot more expensive and would be too big to fit where I would need to put it.

Its very unlikely you'll make anything metal-clad waterproof. Certainly, none of the MK inserts are waterproof in the way you mean. You might seal the back box up - the problem would be the switch remaining exposed.

Your only option in this case would be to put the switch in a waterproof enclosure - in which case, that can have the security and you can use a standard switch inside (careful of risk from wet hands though).

Reply to Weatherproof / Vandal Proof keyswitch in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net