Discuss Well, am I glad today's over. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Electrics is a simple game complicated by fools.

Simple enough job, enclosed contactor in outhouse, indoor switch key switch.

Scoped it out a couple of weeks ago, cables runs, parts the lot, jobs a doddle.

Quoted at 4 hour plus £200 parts.

Ran in the flex internally in YT2, drilled through the 600mm outer wall, then a bit of unistrut to span the gap, bit of copex for the exterior section, drilled through the 500mm outhouse wall... clip, clip, clip, left plenty to terminate.

Goes back inside terminates switch.

All going well....

Until...

THEM; Can we have an indicator light on it?

ME; Really?

THEM; Yes, it's in the spec.

ME; you have a spec?

THEM; Yes we do them all the same.

ME; did you not think to show me this beforehand? I'm going outside for five minutes.

No effing Neutral.

Rip it all out, run in a four core, only now can I get the cable through the exterior wall....

Use old three core as draw string - fail
Fishing rods - fail
Redrilled hole - fail

Now the rubble fill keeps falling down..

An hour and a half of drill and vacuum and eventually I'm through.

Interior stud wall, now a rouge cable has dropped down and is blocking my hole, zones? A 10 second job adds another thirty minutes.

All told the four hour doddle was a ten and a half hour nightmare.

All working and tested with 15 minutes to spare before they closed.

Threw more than a few effs into this job, not what you need on a friday.

Ha! It's always when the job is going too well that these things happen!
Everything turning out as expected, all gear available, nothing forgotten or missing, most of the way through the job and you're already secretly congratulating yourself on a job well done...thoughts turn to the possibility of an early finish...and BOOM! It's all out the window in a heartbeat!

Ha! It's always when the job is going too well that these things happen!
Everything turning out as expected, all gear available, nothing forgotten or missing, most of the way through the job and you're already secretly congratulating yourself on a job well done...thoughts turn to the possibility of an early finish...and BOOM! It's all out the window in a heartbeat!
Exactly this.

In my case I was supposed to be adding a security light as per verbal instruction. But on site "we don't want another light now, we just want a sensor added further down, that'll be easier right?" Oops, now need 3+E between the 2 locations. And having no pir unit in my back pocket I went home early, so not all bad :) .

In my case I was supposed to be adding a security light as per verbal instruction. But on site "we don't want another light now, we just want a sensor added further down, that'll be easier right?" Oops, now need 3+E between the 2 locations. And having no pir unit in my back pocket I went home early, so not all bad :) .
Jammy git

Reply to Well, am I glad today's over. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock