Discuss Well pump burning out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yep, it's not really a 'breaker' as such, it's a monitor with a built-in switch contact that could be used to operate the load direct if it's within the current limit of the contact otherwise the contact is used to operate a separate contactor which in turn switches the load current. The knobs are for setting the voltage limits and on some models the hysteresis/differential as well.

Yep, it's not really a 'breaker' as such, it's a monitor with a built-in switch contact that could be used to operate the load direct if it's within the current limit of the contact otherwise the contact is used to operate a separate contactor which in turn switches the load current. The knobs are for setting the voltage limits and on some models the hysteresis/differential as well.

its an expensive bit of kit aint it mate 100 quid. okay i dont want to drag on to much but as i said before in the house fridges, microwaves ovens etc all burn out quite frequently which is very expensive as you would know...if i was to install that providing that overvoltage is the problem it should sort it out, considering there are no other factors...

its an expensive bit of kit aint it mate 100 quid.
Yep, I warned you earlier that protecting against all the causes of poor power quality was going to be expensive and there's no guarantee that low voltage is the problem. Hence my initial far cheaper suggestion of the delay timer.

Yep, I warned you earlier that protecting against all the causes of poor power quality was going to be expensive and there's no guarantee that low voltage is the problem. Hence my initial far cheaper suggestion of the delay timer.

i know this is a late reply but once again the pump has burned out....to what you suggested does this wiring diagram look oright to you? made it on paint not the best drawing but hopefully understandable.Well pump burning out pump diagram - EletriciansForums.net

You probably do not want to protect the timer with the same breaker as the pump as it may not have a suitable rating, perhaps something like this?

View attachment 29491

thats really useful thanks for that mate.

the only thing im trying to get my head round (i mostly do domestic so contactors not a big experience in) is how do i pick a time relay and a suitable contactor that uses the same voltage? also if im correct, (just double checking) this will in theory detect that the power has come back however will not turn on the contactor until a certain amount of time..

Choose an on delay timer that works with the local supply voltage (which I do not know)e.g. this one for 230 Vac.
Select a contactor with at least two poles so that you can disconnect the neutral to the pump as well (in case you are getting neutral voltage during power outs), normally contactors are easily and cheaply available in three pole with an auxiliary contact. If it is three phase then all three poles should be switched one for each phase.
The coil of the contactor would need to be suitable for the local supply voltage.
The contactor should be rated to be able to take the current demand of the pump e.g say the pump is 5.5 kW a contactor rated at 12 A for AC-3 such as this one may be suitable.

With those parts you would then have this arrangement for single phase, however I am not certain from your descriptions whether this could be safely and correctly implemented by your overseas associates.
Well pump burning out On Delay Hiquel ABB contactor half hour pum - EletriciansForums.net

And yes you are correct an On Delay timer will, when supplied with power, start a timer (set on the unit) that at the end of the time period will operate the timer relay contacts. if the power goes off the timer will be reset.

Last edited:
Choose an on delay timer that works with the local supply voltage (which I do not know)e.g. this one for 230 Vac.
Select a contactor with at least two poles so that you can disconnect the neutral to the pump as well (in case you are getting neutral voltage during power outs), normally contactors are easily and cheaply available in three pole with an auxiliary contact. If it is three phase then all three poles should be switched one for each phase.
The coil of the contactor would need to be suitable for the local supply voltage.
The contactor should be rated to be able to take the current demand of the pump e.g say the pump is 5.5 kW a contactor rated at 12 A for AC-3 such as this one may be suitable.

With those parts you would then have this arrangement for single phase, however I am not certain from your descriptions whether this could be safely and correctly implemented by your overseas associates.
View attachment 29493

And yes you are correct an On Delay timer will, when supplied with power, start a timer (set on the unit) that at the end of the time period will operate the timer relay contacts. if the power goes off the timer will be reset.

really appreciate your help Richard. the supply voltage there is 230 just like here luckily...they certainly will not be carrying out these works. i may be going there soon on a holiday so will gather all the things i need and go

You don't need high accuracy or high current contacts so I'd suggest you shop around for the delay-on timer, you should be able to pick up a timer which is a half-decent make for between 10-20 quid.

Reply to Well pump burning out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock