Discuss Wembley Wigan V Leeds in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Well Leeds rhino's some how won the semi final against Castleford (unlucky Cas, you were the better team imho) and we are off to Wembley to face Wigan in the challenge cup final. I know there are a few RL fans on here, are any of you going to the final on the 27th August? Since 1999 I've been to every final with the rhinos, old Wembley (winners), Murryfield, Cardiff x 2 and Wembley last year (all losers). Don't fancy our chances against Wigan (pie eaters) but you never know in a challenge cup final anything can happen, look at Warrington last year! Post up your predictions, I think Leeds to win 16-12 but I'm talking with my heart and not my head :).

Absolutly guttedThought we had it!! Only to be jewed againI'm almost positive rangi won't be with us next yearMy production is Wigan 26-14 leeds

I forgot you are a Tigers fan Mr Newsome and judging by you spelling your hitting the sympathy juice. Unlucky mate, as I said in the op I think Cas were the better side today and should have won but let's put it this way, you held Leeds to a draw in a semi final and not many small town clubs can say that.

I know If somebody would of said at start of season you'll be in top 8 of super league just behind Leeds and run right to extra time I'm semi final of cup I'd of taken it!!!Oh well nothing a few carlings can't sort out!

As i am not a rugby fan of any sort, can you tell me why it is that rugby league, a sport only played in Northern England, in fact as far as i am aware just in Yorkshire and Lancashire, has its final in London? Surely it must be a pain having to trek down there when Old Trafford is quite handy. Or do rugby games get attendances of more than 60 or 70,000 fans on a regular basis making Old Trafford too small?

Just curious thats all.

Cheers..............Howard

From Wikipedia:- The first competition was held during the 1896-97 season (the second season of the new game), and 56 clubs entered to compete for the trophy. The first final was held at Headingley in Leeds, on 24 April 1897. Batley defeated St Helens 10-3[3] in front of a crowd of 13,492 (see picture). It is interesting to note that the St Helens side did not play in a standardised team jersey.The competition was later interrupted by World War one, though it was held in 1915, when the season that had begun before the war was completed. It was then suspended until the end of hostilities. Initially, the final tie was held at one of the larger club grounds in the north, however, noting the excitement in Huddersfield that the town’s soccer team were playing at Wembley in the FA Cup Final and the increasing difficulty for any of the rugby league grounds to satisfy spectator demand to see the final tie, the rugby league authorities voted 13-10 to relocate to the recently built Wembley Stadium in London, aiming to emulate the FA Cup's success and to put the game on the national stage.[4]The first final held at Wembley was in 1929 when Wigan beat Dewsbury 13-2 in front of a crowd of 41,500. At the start of World War two, rugby league suspended its season immediately, but the Challenge Cup took a single year’s break before restarting, on a limited basis and with the support of the authorities, as part of keeping up morale. The Challenge Cup finals, which took place in the game’s Northern heartland, got big crowds as the game raised money for Prisoners of War and for Lord Beaverbrook’s armaments programme."............ RL broke away from RU in Huddersfield hence its a northern game. We have 2 finals, a FA cup final (our challenge cup) and a super league final, after the season is finished its course if fixture games the top 8 teams are in a knock out game to the final but this gets complicated to explain so I won't bother. The super league final is held at Old Trafford, good location for most finalists either from Yorkshire or Lancashire.

Cas were robbed!!!:001_9898: & I'm a Saints fan.Wigan 18 - 12 Leeds
I wouldn't say they were robbed, I would say they didn't do enough to cross the finish line and win. If your a saints fan I'm guessing your going to be a day supporter of the Rhinos for the final?

I can't see Burrows going to a none super league side even though its next door to his home town of Ponty. As for Griffin I don't know, wouldn't mind him on the team he's a good player.

Not a chance mate, sorry.:sailor:
There is a bit of positive history with me and the hard core Saints fans. Just ask Dave, leader of the fun bus crew ;););). Just say Maddo from Leeds told you to ask about me. There is a few good stories to be told? I have a few good mates over there, its all good stories btw, kind of :).

None super league side??
I mean a "super league team" worthy of his signing. With all due respect to Cas, he will have at least 2 more seasons with Leeds before looking at slowing down. Ohg I think I'm digging a hole for myself, sorry Newsome its not the time to be talking like this, I apologise mate. When we meet up the first few beers are on me.

Reply to Wembley Wigan V Leeds in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net