Discuss Wet room with a meter cupboard ! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys , new here and looking for a little advice . I went to see a job ( consumer unit upgrade ) and when I had a little scout round I found a wet room that had been stolen from the end of a garage . The spur and lighting were all outside zones but the room itself was 2.5 x 1.5 m and at the farthest end from the shower was the original still in service meter box ( fibreglass external type ) . Obviously a db upgrade will cover all ccts by rcds but the incoming supply is an issue . Can anyone offer any input ? I'm thinking it's got to be moved but this is a big expensive job and I need to be 100% before I recommend this course of action .
20181005_160809.jpg
20181005_160809.jpg
20181005_160759.jpg

20181005_160754.jpg

20181005_160823.jpg

Yes there's a spur and ufh stat , they are outside of the zones and will be rcd protected when the db is changed . My issue was the fact that the meter is obviously previous to the rcd protection and any risk of shock from this would only be protected by a 100a main fuse , which would be generally quite severe if any contact was made . I have considered an rcd main switch at the meter box but regs state a 30ma maximum which would more than likely negate any circuitry discrimination offered by a new consumer unit .

Reply to Wet room with a meter cupboard ! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Mexico, where I have a small, un-official trailer park on my property. The property is serviced by my privately owned, 650amp...
Replies
Views
One of the oddest jobs I've ever had today. Called by a plumber I know who had attended after a leak through the kitchen ceiling from bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi All. I had a job which was going to be a 'quicky' fault finding and repairing a couple of sockets, then it came to the testing..... The...
Replies
Views
C
Hello everybody. Forgive my ignorance but I have read for he past 3 days many posts regarding the meter tails in relation the a consumer unit...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock