Discuss What a state ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
So went to help out a new company as a subby today possibly for more too as electrician they had onboard was keen on drink ;-) lots of it stashed on site etc..
They have a 1st yr apprentice left there trying to basically learn to fit new kitchen wiring and bathrooms with no knowledge at all basically and while elderly people are still living in the flats high rise.

I start looking to fit new socket faces and general 2nd fix and test today and find back boxes all steaming etc.. and the tiler has tiled at 55 degree angles to the boxes that were already on the lash ! then I get to asking him- apprentice why they have run spurs off spurs off spurs from original ring all in 4mm twin no less at a guess to carry the current as opposed to 2.5 and extending the ring final, and they have in a few flats looped 4mm twins in and out and picked up DP switches to isolate sockets in alcoves etc.. for washing machines and the like then added as I say spur after spur essentially making one point of the entire flat ring circuit into a radial.

Then at one end they have fed 4mm into a single box to feed a switch for an extract fan up above and come straight off in 1.0mm twin ! I said why not into a SFCU to enable fusing it down at least but he said two sparks said it was all good ?? well he said one said he wouldn't do it like that but it was ok !

Next flat even better same issue mainly spur off ring and then as a radial to 6 plus sockets or DP switches and on to sockets after, then I ask where is feed from ring in ? Young lad says oh it's there other side of kitchen ! So I look and no they have a cupboard with a big slack heap of 4mm bundled in there, then he says oh yeah there's a feed the other side to opposite work top and units too, no linking cables up and over etc.. just the single 4mm one side spurred off the ring and other side of kitchen everything is linked together and waiting to be fed separately from the 4mm bundled in a hall cupboard ! So by now I'm thinking someone has a big hat and horse outside, and so in for a penny I ask him where the previous spark had said he was taking the 4mm ? and he says just in the back of that single socket in the hallway to feed the kitchen as a spur !!

Where do these people come from and how can they sleep at night !
Am I just being picky or is it utter shi*e ??

Glad it's not just me ! It's horrible stuff, by going 4mm I think they thought the current carrying capacity was all good but it's just rougher than rough in there, I was just Pre testing r1 rn r2 etc before going near it like make sure if end to end before I go near it etc.. no one actually testing to sign off ! Even though most of it is notifiable and special locations. My name not going down on any of it. Guys that own the company aren't sparks none of them but got every trade on for them. This is equivalent of uk council housing outfit, it's for a big player over here.

Nope left after a call back this morning removed a wet tile in glue and found 2 legs of 2.5mm ring final taped up bare copper behind tile crackling away but not taking breaker out! Wago'd the ends and covered and got tiler back to sort then called boss man of site who said I'll pay please just sort it all for me, I politely declined as I'm busy enough and don't want to go any further with any of that standard of work / butchery and he must've called another lad I know of who called me to say what's wrong with 4mm spur to multiple sockets off the flat ring and that I'm clueless etc.. so I offered him to come and argue the point at which point he said he'd bring his business partner and sort me out ! So I said not at a customers flat but how about tonight at my Muay Thai gym as we have a ring there and first aiders ? No reply unfortunately and didn't arrive at site either ? His point is 4mm can carry 32A so all ok to link many spurs as he likes !! Hmmm no thanks.

Had main contractor on texting now hassling as to why I went to client and not him direct first ! As he wouldn't answer the mobile for hours and friend is one of management for the client. Oh well it's all kicking off a bit, pull up a chair and grab a beer ;-)

Reply to What a state ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net