Discuss What about the sealing then? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
What are you chaps using for intumescent seal and chafe prevention on rear entry consumer units where the big oval hole(s) have been knocked out
Pict

Just make sure you install the cables correctly, ensure correct terminations etc, who needs intumescent sealing?

I go a bit overboard to be honest the building regs can be quite tight round our way with preventing the spread of fire so I usually mount the board on a bit of pink gyproc and make the hole coming in through the gyproc as small as possible then fill in between and around the cables with intumescent sealant I stick grommet strip round the edge of the knockout but that’s pointless as the cables will never be able to meet the edge of the knockout.

The risk is the spread of fire through the rear of the C.U. and what it is mounted onto eg non- combustible - wet plastered wall, pink plasterboard or plasterboard with a timed fire resistance.

Ironically that would be making the wood part of the enclosure, and as we know wood is not non combustible, although i can't imagine a time when you'd have to defend that in court!
Where does it mention that? I just can’t see it...if the cables were rear entry on a stud wall does that mean the whole Wall is now part of the enclosure?

Where does it mention that? I just can’t see it...if the cables were rear entry on a stud wall does that mean the whole Wall is now part of the enclosure?
Good question, where do you drawer the line indeed! That was kind of my point, obviously i don't really think your way is a problem, but how about if we knocked out the whole back of the cu and mounted on timber? Still meets ip rating and the cu itself is non combustible but most of the back is going to burn nicely.

Reply to What about the sealing then? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net