Discuss What about this for a day at work ! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have just been reading in the `Installer ` Magazine [Gas / Heating / Plumbing & some Electrical etc.] about a Day at Work in 2008 on a Construction Project where an Argon Gas Cylinder which was `stored` with 79 others fell over and the Valve snapped off the top of the Cylinder - the Cylinders were NOT fitted with Valve Safety Caps.

The Argon Gas - under 300 BAR Pressure [approx. 4410 PSI] propelled the Cylinder into the others which were just standing together [not in storage racks] - this set of a `Chain reaction` where 66 of the Cylinders `Flew` around and `THROUGH` the Building at speeds of up to 170 Miles per Hour.

These 66 `Torpedoes` were obviously Heavy [2 Metres tall and weighed 142 Kilos !] - and Fast enough [170 mph] to smash through walls and up through Ceilings - this is on a Large Site with loads of Trades / Men working there.

This `Havoc` was stated to have lasted several Minutes - can You imagine trying to Escape from this area within a large Building with these 2 Metre long x 142 Kilo x 170 mph `torpedoes` smashing through walls and up through ceilings around You - !

This looks to have been even worse for those in the immediate area of the `devastation` because the Walls seem to be just partition construction [from article photo] which obviously would offer NO Protection from these `Flying Gas Cylinders` !

Some of the Cylinders were stated to have ended up `in remote parts of the Building` !

Unfortunately a Plumber was killed by one of these `missiles` and others including some Electricians were seriously injured.

The reason that this is in the Magazine now is that the Court case has recently been adjudicated and `Fines and Costs` levied on the 3 Companies who were supposed to have ensured that the Gas Cylinder Safe storage and other Safety Regulations were adhered to.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE FULL ARTICLE:

Three firms sentenced after plumber dies | Installer Online

I thought that this would interest some Members - it just shows what can happen at Work on a large Construction Project.

Regards,

Chris

P.S: I used the Blue Text colour to highlight the Top two paragraphs above - but due to some malfunction I could not then revert back to the `Normal` Black text colour.

Then when I saw the message after it was submitted I noticed that it was NOT `All Blue`.

I did not want to start messing about trying to either highlight other paragraphs in colour or revert some paragraphs to un- highlighted text in case I LOST the whole thing.

Sorry if this makes my message irritating to look at. - Chris

Last edited:
I was on this job.
Health and Safety- it's there for a reason and never be swayed by the "red tape" argument

Everyone deserves to go home at the end of a working day.

horses for courses mate. h & s should be applied with common sense. i was on a job where the h & s bloke told me to make sure i had "three points of contact at all times when using step ladders". i was told this whilst i was installing a 4' light fitting in a room that was too small to get a podium in.

Podiums are more dangerous than step ladders I've fell off more podiums than steps also have you ever noticed when on a job where all ladders and steps are banned a few days before handover is due step ladders are all of a sudden allowed

ive been kicked of site once for standing on my tool box to switch on a spur where they were expecting me to erect a scaffold the only other time I've been kicked off site was because I had visitor written on the back of my hi viz they said it looked like a visitor was working for them never work for costains if you can avoid it

"Hello All",

I must state that when I wrote my original message about the `Death and Devastation` caused when 66 x 142 Kilo Argon Gas Cylinders which had their Valves broken off in a `chain reaction` and then `Torpedoed` through Walls and Ceilings at up to 170 mph - Killing one Man and severely Injuring others - I did not expect Members to be writing about the use of Steps / Podiums !

I know that You have commented on `Health & Safety` but are the Steps and Podium comments pertinent to this Deadly Health & Safety breach ?

There could have been MANY people killed !

While I acknowledge that these items are probably involved in more `Accidents` than any other access equipment I am a bit surprised that Members did not comment on the Death and Devastation caused in the incident that I wrote about / gave a link to the Magazine article.

Please don`t take offence Gentlemen - none is meant

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
sorry, chris. i guess your thread got hijacked!!

i read your post and it's truly shocking. but i think this kind of story washes over people most of the time. the subject matter is incomprehensible to a lot of us because it's not something we've ever experienced. but mention the words 'health and safety' and it starts pushing people's buttons.

it's a great idea - in principle - but the way it's implemented on-site is totally lacking in any sort of reasoning. everyone on here will have a story about some jumped-up little stalin throwing his weight about. take jonesy, for example - two red card incidents that barely warranted a -------ing. they shouldn't be messing with people's livelihoods like that.

but i'll apologise again - to staggie as well - it wasn't my intention to trivialise what happened to the plumber and the rest of the fellas on that job.

sorry, chris. i guess your thread got hijacked!!

i read your post and it's truly shocking. but i think this kind of story washes over people most of the time. the subject matter is incomprehensible to a lot of us because it's not something we've ever experienced. but mention the words 'health and safety' and it starts pushing people's buttons.

it's a great idea - in principle - but the way it's implemented on-site is totally lacking in any sort of reasoning. everyone on here will have a story about some jumped-up little stalin throwing his weight about. take jonesy, for example - two red card incidents that barely warranted a -------ing. they shouldn't be messing with people's livelihoods like that.

but i'll apologise again - to staggie as well - it wasn't my intention to trivialise what happened to the plumber and the rest of the fellas on that job.

"Hello shagbite",

No need to apologise - I knew that You were commenting on Health & Safety in general - but using examples of the Steps and Podiums to show the sometimes `triviality` [others might not agree] of these decisions on Site.

My comments were more my showing surprise that Members did not comment on the `Nightmare situation` - or words to that effect that the Men on Site must have found themselves in.

Can You imagine 66 x 142 Kilo / 2 Metre high Argon Cylinders `going off` - releasing approximately 4410 psi and becoming `Torpedoes` / `Rockets` - blasting through Walls and Ceilings at up to 170 mph !

I cannot believe that this was not on `News at Ten` and News around the World.

Obviously there have been more Devastating occurrences throughout the U.K. / World in terms of Deaths and Injury.

But I cannot get over this `66 Argon Cylinders [out of 80] have their Valves snapped off in a `chain reaction` scenario - leading to these `66 Torpedoes` / `Rockets` - within a Building !

And I cannot Imagine what it must have been like to be near them when this happened !

Thanks for not being offended by my comments.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Here's a link to the HSE report on the incident.

"Hello Robotstar5",

Thanks for the Link - I will be interested in reading the HSE Report.

EDIT: I think from a brief glance through that it is basically the same information that was contained in the Installer Magazine online article - but Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to What about this for a day at work ! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock