• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss What are the brightest GU10 LEDs. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nickjaxe

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys...I'm not a spark but can I ask your advice.

We have 6 GU10 halogens in our kitchen...they use a lot of electricity and I would like to replace them with LEDs.

I tried this maybe 18months ago...and the result was disappointing...the bulbs where quite dim...but where supposed to be similar to 50w halogens.

I wonder if things have moved on with GU10 LEDs...can anybody recommend one thats as bright as a 50w halogen...or even brighter.

Nick in Cheshire.

I did an install for one lady, who wanted really bright downlights. So I installed some fittings by JCC, intended to reduce the actual amount of fittings, but give the same overall effect, i.e. normally 4 downlights could be installed instead of 6, so I installed 6. The result was, well too bright for me, burnt my retinas. But she was very pleased.

I mention this, because the downlights in question (JCCFGLED10), have a 850 lumens output and a 60' beam angle.

If you were unhappy with the lamps you bought last year, then you will have to find something approaching something like above. The vanilla flavoured replacement LED GU 10's, typically are 450 lumens and a 38' beam angle.

I primarily install the sealed units like the aforementioned JCC or Click Inceptor, but some other members might be able to direct you to some LED GU10 replacement lamps. You could also consider the colour (temperature) of the lamps, primarily warm white (3000k) or cool white (4000k), the warm white matches the colour of a typical halogen lamp, whereas the cool white is a bit more clinical, IMO. These colours vary slightly between manufacturers.

Here's an example; Superior - 7w GU10 LED Very Bright COB Spotlight - https://www.lightrabbit.co.uk/superior-7-watt-gu10-cob-led-spotlight-bulb.html

If you are fitting them into existing fully enclosed "bean can" style downlight fittings, don't necessarily expect them to provide the manufacturers lifetime, especially with the brighter ones. There is not much chance for the heat to escape. 7W LED produces about 6W of heat which needs to get away by convection.

Reply to What are the brightest GU10 LEDs. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back