Discuss What are the effects of using a 60Hz device on a 50Hz supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've two Vibro Graver V-74 electric engravers (120V 60Hz) with me. I gave one to a friend who recently moved to another country. He got a step down converter to 110V but then he noticed the frequency used there is 50Hz.

What would the effects of using the device on a 110V 50Hz supply when the device is meant to be used on 120V 60Hz supply. Does the 10Hz difference cause any damage?

What are the effects of using a 60Hz device on a 50Hz supply? DSC_0007.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

What are the effects of using a 60Hz device on a 50Hz supply? DSC_0006.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Most likely if you use it for long periods. The internal motor will operate slower possibly up to 20% with this you will get increased current usage and this may have a knock on effect that the windings cannot carry this increased current which may lead to it burning out.

Hi,
Thanks for the detailed explanation mate. This is what I was worried about too. So I guess the only cheap option is to use a cheap 12VDC to 110V 60Hz inverter as frequently converters are expensive.
But something that I'm curious is how do those reversible Auto-transformers 110/220V can run at both 50/60Hz. What could be the possible design changes that the manufacturers could have adopted? Even though both the motor and transformer are inductive devices.

Search for transformer core saturation.
For the reversible transformers the core is built for 50Hz which is larger than one for 60, at 60Hz this causes no problem. I have an old radio here designed to work from 25-40 Hz, the mains transformer core is huge. 400Hz is used on planes and similar as it allows transformers etc. to be much smaller and lighter.

It will probably be OK if only used for a few minutes at a time, as is usual for engravers, and the 110V versus 120V will help as well.

Motors and transformers (and chokes) are all wound devices but they use quite different mechanisms, so changing the frequency has different effects.

A 50Hz transformer will work OK on 60Hz as the magnetising current will be lower, hence less peak flux in the core (although 20% more hysteresis loss). A 60Hz transformer may saturate on 50Hz especially if it is not generously designed, which can lead to much greater heat dissipation. Any transformer supplied for use at either frequency will be designed for 50Hz. Many 60Hz transformers will survive fine on 50Hz provided the voltage is at the low end of the intended voltage range. 50Hz induction motors and vibratory devices will run fast and may lack power on 60Hz, while 60Hz versions will run slow and develop more heat on 50Hz. Whether they function correctly will depend both on the design, quality of manufacture and more than anything on the application to which they are put. Universal (brush) motors are much less affected and will run at their correct speed so long as the voltage is correct. Heat dissipation may be affected as with transformers. Anything that rectifies the AC and uses a permanent magnet motor, such as most hairdryers (other than the 'silent' type with induction motors) will work equally well on either frequency. Devices with choke ballasting (e.g. switchstart fluorescents) will be overrun with a 60Hz ballast on 50Hz and underrun with a 50Hz ballast on 60Hz, but the ballast itself might be fine.

Incidentally we don't know for certain what is inside your engraver. If it hums then it is a magnetic vibrator, but if it whirrs like a motor, it won't be an induction motor so might not be affected by frequency.

Motors and transformers (and chokes) are all wound devices but they use quite different mechanisms, so changing the frequency has different effects.

A 50Hz transformer will work OK on 60Hz as the magnetising current will be lower, hence less peak flux in the core (although 20% more hysteresis loss). A 60Hz transformer may saturate on 50Hz especially if it is not generously designed, which can lead to much greater heat dissipation. Any transformer supplied for use at either frequency will be designed for 50Hz. Many 60Hz transformers will survive fine on 50Hz provided the voltage is at the low end of the intended voltage range. 50Hz induction motors and vibratory devices will run fast and may lack power on 60Hz, while 60Hz versions will run slow and develop more heat on 50Hz. Whether they function correctly will depend both on the design, quality of manufacture and more than anything on the application to which they are put. Universal (brush) motors are much less affected and will run at their correct speed so long as the voltage is correct. Heat dissipation may be affected as with transformers. Anything that rectifies the AC and uses a permanent magnet motor, such as most hairdryers (other than the 'silent' type with induction motors) will work equally well on either frequency. Devices with choke ballasting (e.g. switchstart fluorescents) will be overrun with a 60Hz ballast on 50Hz and underrun with a 50Hz ballast on 60Hz, but the ballast itself might be fine.

Incidentally we don't know for certain what is inside your engraver. If it hums then it is a magnetic vibrator, but if it whirrs like a motor, it won't be an induction motor so might not be affected by frequency.

Thanks. That was quite detailed. The engraver is magnetic vibrator I guess because as I turn the screw knob this increases the speed and I can see the needle move back and forth really fast.
The engraver did hum more loud on 110V 50Hz my friend told me. So, its not good in the long run I guess.

Reply to What are the effects of using a 60Hz device on a 50Hz supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock