Discuss What are the first steps in becoming electricians mate? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mac86

-
Reaction score
I am looking to become an electricians mate in the Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey area.
I have experience doing small electrical jobs and City & Guilds Level 2 and 3 in Electro Technology.

Any help or advice on how to progress would great.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go. A lot of agencies ask for a cscs card, but when I look into it there are so many options. Do you know which one I would need?
as a start get the green? labourer card, anybody can get one of them. the local job centre just put a load of kids on a course to improve job chances! Not sure a lot of them actually want a job mind! my bone idle lazy cousin got put on it and despite being stoned on weed still passed! then once you got a electrical job lined up you can switch to the electrical labourer or trainee card as you need an employer for that. but a even the basic one will help.

You should also consider personal approachs to electricians,
Tell them what you aspire to
Then ask if you can work with them ?
Also get some tips as to what they look for.
Above all be polite and respectful.

Get all your bits and pieces together so you're ready to start at short notice, ie next day - as mentioned a CSCS or preferably ECS card, basic hand tools, PPE (hard hat, hi-viz, boots, glasses, gloves, ear protection). Most sites will provide gloves, glasses and ear protection, some will give you a hard hat and hi-viz, some won't, or at the very least will expect you to have your own when you start.

I would add that it looks better if you go dressed for work instead of just wearing old clothes. You don't have to spend a fortune - last time I checked you could buy a plain polo shirt from Primarni for £2.50.
Some will argue about the last bit and say the way you dress has nothing to do with how good your work is or that it's nobody else's business if you've got a dog in the van, and fair enough if you can get away with that, but if you're starting out on the bottom rung of the ladder it's best not to rock the boat.

Reply to What are the first steps in becoming electricians mate? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net