Discuss What are the minimum quals/experience to work in the Afghan? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

millwall ken

Hi all,
Can anyone please tell me what are the minimum quals and experience that a sparkie would need to work in Afghanistan? Also what sort of things would bar you from working there, ie criminal convictions, that sort of thing. Also how long is the vetting process, what sort of references you would need, etc. Is it worth it for the money, and can you expect to be fornicated by the Taxman on your return. As much info, or a nod in the right direction would be most appreciated fellas.

To stay out of the Tax man's scope, you need to be outside of the UK for 12 months. You are however allowed i think it's now 60 days within that year back on UK soil ...so to speak.

That's what it used to be anyway, others like Malcolm who is working in Saudi, but still based in UK will know about any changes to the above conditions...

You can as an individual break U.K. residence, if they leave the U.K. under a contract of full-time employment abroad, without severing links with the U.K. provided the period of full-time employment abroad covers a complete tax year and they do not return to the U.K. for an average of 91 days or more per tax year or 183 days in any one tax year.I think this 183 day rule is calculated over a 4 yrs time frame.

The biggest problem for me was I came back to Saudi May 2010 and so my complete tax year will be April 2011 to April 2012, well that is how I read it. So lads going out now in say Dec 2011 their tax year will be April 2012 to April 2013, so the first 4 months IMO don't count, so you have to be careful, again that is my take on it, I may be wrong.

Last edited:
You can as an individual break U.K. residence, if they leave the U.K. under a contract of full-time employment abroad, without severing links with the U.K. provided the period of full-time employment abroad covers a complete tax year and they do not return to the U.K. for an average of 91 days or more per tax year or 183 days in any one tax year.I think this 183 day rule is calculated over a 4 yrs time frame.

The biggest problem for me was I came back to Saudi May 2010 and so my complete tax year will be April 2011 to April 2012, well that is how I read it. So lads going out now in say Dec 2011 their tax year will be April 2012 to April 2013, so the first 4 months IMO don't count, so you have to be careful, again that is my take on it, I may be wrong.

I have read somewhere as well it is no longer any 12 month period out of the country but has to be a complete financial tax year.

17th edition , maybe 2391 , pat testing , Previous military experience , ability to function in BASIC conditions,

let you know how my interview goes :)

jamie

Yes i replied to that advert about NZ and got sent various emails back asking me to apply to th UK agencies working abroad i was given a list of such agencies so will be applying in the new year.

Reply to What are the minimum quals/experience to work in the Afghan? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock