Discuss What are these mystery sockets?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Natalie

Hello!

I am a non electrician lady in need of your expert help, pretty please! :confused:

I've bought a flat recently - its about 5 years old - and in the living room and bedroom there's these weird sockets.

They're the same size as normal electrical sockets, but they have no on/off switch and the holes are round. They look like european sockets in that they have round holes, except theres 3 holes instead of 2. So no normal british plug will go in there, nor will a european adaptor.

They look like this pin wise:

What are these mystery sockets?! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Link - File:M plug.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They also seem to have a seperate switch on the wall next to the normal light switch (although all the 'normal' lights are dimmer switches..)

I'm wondering if they're part of some snazzy lighting system, but i've no clue really!

Any ideas people?

If they are lighting sockets, then where am i meant to buy the lights that go with them? Can't find any with this weird plug on.

Thanking you kindly for reading.

Natalie

Last edited by a moderator:
cant see the pic, but sounds like 2amp lighting sockets, should be able to pick up plugs for them from diy stores.
hope this helps!

cant see the pic, but sounds like 2amp lighting sockets, should be able to pick up plugs for them from diy stores.
hope this helps!

oooo - sounds interesting.

Isn't 2 amps a lot less than a normal socket? I wonder what the point in that is.....is it meant to be for cheap lighting or something?

oooo - sounds interesting.

Isn't 2 amps a lot less than a normal socket? I wonder what the point in that is.....is it meant to be for cheap lighting or something?

yeh sockets are 13amp they are rated to 2 amps so nothing too big gets plugged into them. not cheap lighting just normal lamps ect

Ahh i see. Even i know you shouldn't overload plugs, and i'm daft. :p

All is clear, i now know what my weird sockets are!

Thank you boys for solving my mystery, you're like the Scooby Doo clan of the electrical world.

Off to buy some plugs and lamps for me now, fancy flat here we come.:D

Natalie

Ahh i see. Even i know you shouldn't overload plugs, and i'm daft. :p

All is clear, i now know what my weird sockets are!

Thank you boys for solving my mystery, you're like the Scooby Doo clan of the electrical world.

Off to buy some plugs and lamps for me now, fancy flat here we come.:D

Natalie

not daft, daft is not asking :)

you're like the Scooby Doo clan of the electrical world ? lol ive worked in some haunted houses in my time ! anyone up for a scooby snack ?

Ive had a few tinnies whilst watching footy.I could go for some snaks:D. The thread above is correct, it daft not to ask!

Reply to What are these mystery sockets?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock