Discuss What are your thoughts on this 3ph domestic. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The installation on the attached pic is a property with a 3-phase supply and a range of fuse boards. I am currently in training but this is a family friend and I have discussed carrying out a rewire for them once I get my papers. I intend notifying the works to BC and then getting NAPIT in to use it as an inspection site to get my competent persons sign of.

My query with this is, I was of the understanding with a 3ph supply, the consumer was obliged to balance their load amongst the 3 phases. This has recently had new fuses fitted by the DNO and as can be seen they have quite happily only connected one of the phases. If I carry out a rewire, should I design the system to utilise all three phases and leave 3 tails for connection by the DNO when complete or is this unnecessary in a domestic system due to the minimal load?

What are your thoughts on this 3ph domestic. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

As far as the installation is concerned that is an SP supply.

How far through your apprenticeship are you? It would be sensible to get your mentor to have a look at this with you.

Did the DNO guys open up the hole for the PME connection or tell you that you can use it?

and if the wiring is all pvc, does it need a rewire? maybe an upgrade of the DBs and a tails tidy up is all that's required.

The supply, as made available to the consumer at the suppliers terminals is single phase.

The suppliers terminals is the point of connection between the consumers equipment and the public electricity network, in this case the outgoing terminals of the electricity meter.

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]He's been told by DNO it's 3ph. Anyone want to answer the OP?

[/FONT]

Ok so the supply up to the head is TP, but that is before the meter and not part of the consumers installation.
The consumers supply is at the point of connection to the distributors network, which in this installation is single phase.

I'm surprised you haven't come across this before during your apprenticeship.

That's ok, it's only been said a half dozen times already in this thread.

Now, more importantly, did they say you could connect to the earth terminal in that cutout?

That's ok, it's only been said a half dozen times already in this thread.

Now, more importantly, did they say you could connect to the earth terminal in that cutout?
It's a tns arrangement. You can't see in that photo but the existing earth is connected to the supply braid below

Returning to the original question for a moment, the DNO are not obliged to make the three phases available, nor would they have any complaint about the lack of balancing as they have provided a single-phase supply to the customer. For all you know, there's another TP+N head next door with an SP installation on L2. If the distributor is only 3 1/2 core it's up to them to know how to balance the supplies they dish out.

There are situations in which two phases (not a two-phase supply but two of the normal three) are present, where the service cable was put in for 3-wire DC. Unlike the pic above, my head at home has two cutouts with 100A fuses in of which I only use one, because the original installation was large enough to warrant having both the outers (lines). I could request another SP supply up to 100A, but if I wanted TP they would have to dig up the road.

As to whether TP supply would make for a better installation, you haven't stated anything about the demand so we've no clues other than guessing the functions of the cables in the picture.

Reply to What are your thoughts on this 3ph domestic. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock