Discuss What cable type is this? SWA? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

jon557

-
Reaction score
Hi folks,

My building has a lighting circuit for the car parking area, the outside cabling is primarily a thin ridged (what looks like 1.5mm core) white cable. It basically looks like a form of shielded cable but not braided, it looks like a solid metal tube. Does anyone recognise it? if I eventually upgrade the fuse board to a modern consumer unit does it all need ripping out?

Thanks!

IMG_20171014_174213.jpg

Hi folks,

My building has a lighting circuit for the car parking area, the outside cabling is primarily a thin ridged (what looks like 1.5mm core) white cable. It basically looks like a form of shielded cable but not braided, it looks like a solid metal tube. Does anyone recognise it? if I eventually upgrade the fuse board to a modern consumer unit does it all need ripping out?

Thanks!

View attachment 38826
MICC, Pyro Proper cable used to be installed by Proper Electricians, that install is a right mess, whoever did it want's to be pilloried, a disgusting example of today' s I#ll say tradesmen with my fingers crossed, and as for not knowing what it is, well.

MICC, Pyro Proper cable used to be installed by Proper Electricians, that install is a right mess, whoever did it want's to be pilloried, a disgusting example of today' s I#ll say tradesmen with my fingers crossed, and as for not knowing what it is, well.

Further on from this cable an extension says the brand "Pyrotenax", it's orange. I don't like the termination and really don't like the white flex that then goes into the fuse board, currently noting all the improvements needed. This building was put up in 1985 so I am guessing this connection is about that old.

You seem to be not impressed that I didn't know what it was, well I have only just done my domestic installers course a few months back and I have yet to see all the variants of cable throughout time - I'll get there, everyone has to learn. I have a degree in electronics but practical domestic installations I am still picking up.

Cheers.

No one was criticising you but to gland that cable correctly the existing pot, the barrel bit will need removing to fit the gland then a new pot fitted and the time clock shifting down a bit. The other cable can be glanded correctly to tidy it up.

Last edited:
I’ll hold my hands up, I’ve never touched the stuff since college about 15 years ago. :(

I've probably not touched it in a decade, more's the pity. Did plenty outside of college, but would need a few practice ends before doing one I intended energising.

Reply to What cable type is this? SWA? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net