Discuss What can be saved from flooded house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Just before xmas, my neighbours suffered a burst pipe while they were on holiday. They have lost everything apart from what they had away with them.
The insurance company are trying to say the kitchen units are saveable, but he knows himself the chipboard units have swelled.
I've already been approached to install a temporary DB and some sockets so the drying machines can have power.
5 skips later, and the walls are down to the bare wooden frames, and no ceilings. The switches, sockets and even radiators are still attached to the walls. They've just broken the plasterboard away from around them.

If I am asked to reinstall the electrical system in the house, how much will need to be renewed?
The cables will probably be alright... but switches and sockets? If they are dried out, can they be reused?
I've not got the job yet to reinstall the electrics, so i'm just planning ahead.
Nice easy job within walking distance.

Deleted because I thought the amazon river had entered,however,it seems its just a severe case of a dripping tap :)

Last edited:
I wouldn’t think of trying to reuse sockets etc that have been saturated.
Take them out and Wago out the junctions. Do cont and IR tests. There are probably JBs that are soggy too!
Once you have a solid cable infrastructure you can install new switches, sockets. Etc.
Good luck.

It will be an insurance job, you probably wont be doing it I would hazard. And it will be a complete rewire I guess.

It will be an insurance job, you probably wont be doing it

I thought this as well.... but the cleaning company that the insurance used had asked the owner of the house if he knew an electrician to give them a temporary supply for their driers. I'm hoping its the same when it comes to reinstalling the electrics

My bad choice of words. Flood from a burst pipe... so no sewerage, just clean water.
From reports, it was sitting an inch deep downstairs. A river coming down the stairs and out the front door.

as somebody has mentioned already, check the junction boxes, might be full of water inside. if the insurance company do pay for a rewire they may have preferred contractors, occasionally they tell homeowners to get quotes and submit them to the adjustor. all to often though its all arranged for them from afar.

Very often the loss adjusters look for "local" input when assessing claims, so they sucker local people in for quotes, then tell their "preferred contractors" the price they have to meet...you never have a chance of getting the job...been there, done that, got a wardrobe full of t-shirts...but got my own back by under-quoting by miles, being offered the job...then declining...
very satisfying!

Plus, all you good sparks out there, why spend time inspecting wet sockets and wiring?
Rip it out and start again! (there's a song there, somewhere...)
You will have installed it, all new...you will have tested it...you will certify it...proper, professional job done...and you will sleep at night.

I would doubt it will be a full rewire,areas soaked will require testing,when dried. Drying out,can be tricky,as some parts of the structure,especially if constructed with modern type DPC methods,will hold dirty water (and it will be dirty),and not necessarily be readily ventilated,to enable drying.

This issue can pop-up,later,as smells,rotting and even surprises like mosquito plagues:eek:

Also,inner leaf joist holes and other perforations,can allow water to soak full-fill cavity insulation,which with little chance of ventilation,will suck the heat out and drip-feed damp to the inside wall...

In fact,the electrical side could be the cheapest to sort ;)

A lot would depend upon where the burst pipe was and how old the property is and the probability of junction boxes used. Also how the existing circuits are wired.

The house is same age as mine. 11 years. Timber framed. No alterations to existing wiring that I’m aware of so no junction boxes.
Concrete floor, so no foundations to puddle up.
If I’m asked, I’ll quote for cable, back boxes and new accessories. I may even replace the plastic CU with an amendment 3 metal one.
It could be a good earner.

The house is same age as mine. 11 years. Timber framed. No alterations to existing wiring that I’m aware of so no junction boxes.
Concrete floor, so no foundations to puddle up.
If I’m asked, I’ll quote for cable, back boxes and new accessories. I may even replace the plastic CU with an amendment 3 metal one.
It could be a good earner.

Ahh...just recycle it,and get a new one ;)

save the fish. take the water that they swim in till they get accclimatised.

Reply to What can be saved from flooded house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock