• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss What can I expect to earn once I'm qualified? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

here to introduce myself and to ask for some advice as I'm fairly young but certain I want to have my own electrician business eventually. I'm training for my qualifications and once I gain these I hope to start working and then grow my own business.

Now a mate of mine told me that he's earning £28,000 a year but he's been working as an electrician for 4 years now. Can I expect to earn the same even in my first year of employment? I'm asking as I want to aim to save a good few grand for a few years to help me get started with my business. TO be honest I'd be happy to earn even £25,000 but not less as this is a take home salary of £1690 according to this income after tax calculator I found online: Tax Calculator for £{{earningsSliders.yearly | number : 0 }} salary - Income Tax UK - http://www.income-tax.co.uk/calculator/25000

I just want to know I'm on the right path and my salary expectations are realisitic. I live in London by the way so inevitably salaries are slightly higher here.

Cheers, Nick

You say, eventually.....
A lot depends on what type of electricky business you are planning
Domestic, commercial or industrial?
Work for yourself, employed by a main contractor?

I went self-employed in the domestic electric arena. I guess it took 3 years plus to get my name established and to get some decent sized jobs.
Up to that I was scratching around and doing anything that came along. Sometimes there were Fridays when I had nothing booked for the coming week. So get yourself a buffer money fund in the bank.

You say, eventually.....
A lot depends on what type of electricky business you are planning
Domestic, commercial or industrial?
Work for yourself, employed by a main contractor?

I went self-employed in the domestic electric arena. I guess it took 3 years plus to get my name established and to get some decent sized jobs.
Up to that I was scratching around and doing anything that came along. Sometimes there were Fridays when I had nothing booked for the coming week. So get yourself a buffer money fund in the bank.
Or a Solar Electrician, I heard that on e the other day, Solar Electrician, what next a Lunar Electrician, a plumber electrician, even worse a kitchen fitter electrician, what the ---- happened to "ELECTRICIAN"?

Salary reflects experience obviously. I would love to go self employed but I can’t afford it. With a young family, a house and a missus that’s a student it’s impossible for now.
I have 10 years experience and the only job I’ve done all my working life. I’m happy being employed in a steady commercial company, I earn 31.5k in Norfolk. With travel and good overtime.
Expect increases yearly but you’ll need a lot of experience behind you. 25k is a good figure to start with

It all depends whether you are doing a full apprenticeship or a domestic installers course or whatever other choices there are and what sort of work your doing

Daywork on building sites ranges from £130-£200 a day

most companies put you on price and you can earn £1000+ for a 40 hour week

But your first year you'll be lucky to earn half that to be honest. Just don't sacrifice neat work for an extra few £££££

At the start off my 3rd year in my apprenticeship I'm earning £25,000. Now when I qualify I've been offers £35,000 or £175 self employed. (Essex/London) £25,000 for a fully qualified sparks seems abit low to me. But maybe that's a reflection of the area I work in.

Salary Calculator:
If you go Commercial, expect £18-£22p/h
Multiply that by how many hours a day you want to do, how many days a week, and how many weeks a year, not forgetting to subtract hangover related hours!
Simples!

I was chatting to a council Spark during the week and he is on less than £12 an hour. Which apparently is about going rate in NI according to a local college tutor.

Id agree with that Phil I know a lot of guys on £10 working in Belfast
I'd assume on the cards at that shocking rate?

Only rates I know of in Belfast are £14-£21 an hour Self Employed and some others on JIB rate on the cards.

Not heard of anything so low a long time...I pay my helper more than that.

I know a guy pays tenner an hour in the hand for a helper to do clearance & removals, could be out 5 hours, do half an hours work, get a fry bought for him and home with £50 and sparks on the cards not getting much more than that before the taxman takes his whack.
I was asked to subby in on a job earlier in the year, though was busy, but think it was £17 an hour.

Reply to What can I expect to earn once I'm qualified? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back