Discuss What certificates/paperwork should I expect? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

NeilF

We've had the following work done by an electrician, with the understanding we'd want any/all certificates etc we could get for the work done.

Here's a rough list of what's been done and I'm wondering if some kind individual could give me an idea of what certificate(s)/paperwork we should therefore expect to receive?

1) New LED and MR16 downlights were added to the (upstairs) bedroom.
2) Two downlights were put in a shower room.
3) An extractor fan (with isolator switch) was put in the shower room.
4) A heated towel rail (with timed switch) was put in the shower room.
5) A shower pump was put in for the shower room (with isolator switch).
6) Various plug sockets were moved/added in the bedroom.
7) Water supply earthed - The electrician noticed the water pipes were not earthed so ran a cable from the mains inlet to around our fuse box.
8) An RCD switch/protector was added to the fuse box for the (upstairs) lights circuit (I think).

I believe (7) and (8) were done just to meet certain requirements for certifications?!

Thanks in advance.

You don't state whether new circuits where added or existing circuits added to.

You don't state whether new circuits where added or existing circuits added to.

I'll do my best.

There was obviously an existing light circuit(s) (for the bedroom lights) which I suspect has been used to power the three new sets of lights:-
1) 6 LED downlights on a new dimmer.
2) 2 MR16s on a new dimmer.
3) 2 new downlights for the shower on a new switch.

And hopefully this will help:-
1) New plug sockets were 'spurred'? off of existing plug sockets.
2) There was already an extractor fan up there, but this has been rewired to include an isolator (it didn't before).
3) There was a shower pump before, but this has been moved (& isolated I think) up into loft now.
4) The towel rail is new.

The work was done under the view of making any/all wiring involved "up to spec" and to get a certificate where possible!?

If now additional or new circuits have been installed the a minor works certificate is all that needs to be issued.

Sounds Like you should have a separate minor works cert for all (8 in total ) but may of been easy to give you an installation cert with the alterations detailed

Sounds Like you should have a separate minor works cert for all (8 in total ) but may of been easy to give you an installation cert with the alterations detailed

And this simply vouches they were done to the appropriate requirements (rules/regulations)?

Correct

a MWC for each altered circuit, not for each addition. i.e. if all those new downlights and the fan come off the upstairs lighting circuit, then it's 1 MWC for that circuit. likewise several sockets added to a socket circuit ( usually a ring ) the 1 MWC covers all additions to that 1 circuit. ytou should end up with 2 or 3 MWCs, or, as has been stated earlier, an EIC ( electrical installation cert.) might be less complicated.

if it's within zones in bathroom, yes. it's notifiable. who bothers for a small thing like that? not that many.

correct. from shower enclosure for 0.6m is zone 2

see Pocket Guide 31
Non-Notifiable work

Installing fixed current- using equipment (Provided the circuit protective device and current - carrying capacity of conductors are suitable)

Last revsion of part Pee was a big cock up IMHO.
Bathrooms and Shower rooms and Kitchens should have all remained notifiable.

Yes. I bet a fair few electricians don't understand the current regs regarding notification, let alone the general public. I installed some LED downlights in a bathroom yesterday and I think it's crazy that it's not now notifiable. It's got to the point where I think 'why bother at all with part P?'.

Yes. I bet a fair few electricians don't understand the current regs regarding notification, let alone the general public. I installed some LED downlights in a bathroom yesterday and I think it's crazy that it's not now notifiable. It's got to the point where I think 'why bother at all with part P?'.

To be honest, if its in a bathroom, and yes including lights, I do notify.

Reply to What certificates/paperwork should I expect? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock