Discuss What certification do i need to provide for a 3 phase install?? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

red1

Hi To all..First post so please be gentle..

I am a time served sparky and have recently passed the 17th IEEE..

I am currently working in a hotel, installing inverters to act as a variable speed drive on
circulation pumps...This involves fitting new D class 3 pole Mcb's and rewiring throughout (from mcb to pump via inverter and isolator).
What certification do i need to provide the client with??
Do i have to have 2391?

Many thanx for any help given

Red1

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi red1 and welcome.
Certification is important. Its a must. It is there to cover your bum aswell.
So certify pls.
Regards
Mike.

If your wiring in new circuits then you need to provide an EIC with a schedule of inspection and a schedule of results.

I assume your talking about the 2391-10 Testing and inspection rather than the 2391-20 design course. No you don't have to have them for carrying out electrical work, even testing, but if your not an experienced tester then the 2391-10 is a good course to take.

To be honest by your question I think you may need to take the course.

you need to issue cert and you should have 2391 qualification if your issueing yourself.if you had to prove your ability to test and issue the certificate only a qualification like 2391 would hold any water.In commercial and industrial if the customer does not specify appoved contractor status then 2391 is what you need issue one copy to them keep one for yourself and keep as record.

If your wiring in new circuits then you need to provide an EIC with a schedule of inspection and a schedule of results.

I assume your talking about the 2391-10 Testing and inspection rather than the 2391-20 design course. No you don't have to have them for carrying out electrical work, even testing, but if your not an experienced tester then the 2391-10 is a good course to take.

To be honest by your question I think you may need to take the course.

Appreciate the reply's guys..Thanx

So just to clarify....

If the client doesn't insist on an approved status i can sign off my own work?

Seems very grey to me to get my head round..

Are you working for yourself or a company?

If your working for yourself then you have to fill your own certs in and provide them to your client. As this sounds commerical there is no Part P so therefore you don't have any need to notify this work to a scheme if you belong to one. I'm saying this provided that there is no private dwelling sharing a supply with this hotel, becasue if there is you will have to then notify it.

If your working for a company then they may very well be employing you as an Electrician, but most of the time they will have a QS that will test and sign off work.

So which is it.

I have a suspicion that you were asking what qualifications do you require to do the work, not what certificates do you need to issue?
If that is so, then technically you don't need any at all. However I guess at the end of the day, it is down to the client and perhaps their insurers.
If they have no requirements as to qualifictions, then there should be no problem with you doing the work.

Are you working for yourself or a company?

If your working for yourself then you have to fill your own certs in and provide them to your client. As this sounds commerical there is no Part P so therefore you don't have any need to notify this work to a scheme if you belong to one. I'm saying this provided that there is no private dwelling sharing a supply with this hotel, becasue if there is you will have to then notify it.

If your working for a company then they may very well be employing you as an Electrician, but most of the time they will have a QS that will test and sign off work.

So which is it.

Hi Malc...Indeed i am working for a co. But my work has been very semi-skilled shall we say for the last few years...It is only of late that i am doing a lot of work on three phase installations. But we are a very small firm and i am probably the most senior electrical biased employee. so in no way will somebody follow me to sign off...

With regard to the other reply..i believe i have the qualifications to work on such installations i didn't think that i had the capability to certify my own work??

Well is your company asking you to test your own work or do they have a QS.

Most contracting companies in commerical will be NICEIC and part of being with them is that all the certs will be signed off a QS, is you company with the NICEIC?

If they are not then part of NICEIC, are they in the ECA?

Neither Malcolm...We are in the leisure business (swimming pools).. I am kind of taking it on myself as i believe we have a duty of care?

And today i was asked to provide electrical certification for the install?

If i was to go down the 2391-10 route...Does this give me the power to sign off my fellow employees work?

Cheerz

I think your going to have to stand back here and take stock. I admire you for taking on this care of duty and in my own opinion all electricians should be responsible for their own work and know how to test any of their own work.

When you are asked to provide certificates I'm assuming it is the EIC and the schedule of inspection and results. So are you signing for the design of this installation? are you also signing for the installation of it and finally are you signing off the testing for it.

If you answer yes to all 3 of this then IMO you should be issuing the Certificates. If the design was done in your company's office by A N Other then they have to sign the design section of the cert.

If you did the install and then the testing you have to sign those sections. As I said normally as an employed electrician you would sign the install part and the company's QS will sign the testing part of it.

Your now aksing if A N Other electrician did the install do you feel duty bound to test the installation, well only you can answer that, do you feel your competant enough to test the installation?

QS are mostly experienced Approved electricians with good knowledge of testing as they are signing to say that the installation is safe and to the BS 7671-2008.

Reply to What certification do i need to provide for a 3 phase install?? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock