Discuss What certification do I need? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks, this will probably be obvious to most folks on here but I'm new to this. A friend is putting together a quote to rewire my house. He is a qualified and very experienced electrician working for a big local firm but this will be a private job. He's not joined one of the schemes like neceic as an individual as he's an employee for a big firm and works under that. When talking about certification, he insists I only need an installation certificate. The work is obviously notifiable so I don't really understand why he is saying I only need an installation certificate. Surely I need a part p certificate issued by a member of one of the schemes or I need to have the work inspected by the local authority? This may just be a misunderstanding on my part.

Thanks for any advice.

A rewire is a notifiable job as you rightly said, so building control will need to be informed before the work starts, unless your electrician has permission from his company to notify under their name. If not you’ll have to pay your local LABC fees.

A rewire is a notifiable job as you rightly said, so building control will need to be informed before the work starts, unless your electrician has permission from his company to notify under their name. If not you’ll have to pay your local LABC fees.
They can't give permission for him to notify personal jobs as that would be fraudulent and a breach of the rules of the regulatory body that they're registered with.

Hi Andrew and Welcome to the Forum.
Your mate is not correct as this does sound like it's a job that requires building approval. In the end it's you who needs this, just saying. If you ask for it, I'm sure someone from the Forum (who can get this approval) would be happy to give you a quote for the work.

Hi folks, this will probably be obvious to most folks on here but I'm new to this. A friend is putting together a quote to rewire my house. He is a qualified and very experienced electrician working for a big local firm but this will be a private job. He's not joined one of the schemes like neceic as an individual as he's an employee for a big firm and works under that. When talking about certification, he insists I only need an installation certificate. The work is obviously notifiable so I don't really understand why he is saying I only need an installation certificate. Surely I need a part p certificate issued by a member of one of the schemes or I need to have the work inspected by the local authority? This may just be a misunderstanding on my part.

Thanks for any advice.
No.You are correct.

Thanks for any advice.

Does your sparky mate have other self employed sparky mates that might assist with notification for a fee?

Reply to What certification do I need? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net