Discuss what description of works to use for minor works cert. when replacing a boiler???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electrophile007

hello,

when issuing a replacement boiler works cert I have been told to class it as and addition to an existing circuit.

but alls I'm doing is reconnecting a boiler to an existing supply by means of a 3amp 2pole isolator switch . any advise on what should be recorded??
thanks.

Re: what description of works to use for minor works cert. when replacing a boiler???

Erm 'replacement of boiler' ? Daz

Re: what description of works to use for minor works cert. when replacing a boiler???

hello,

when issuing a replacement boiler works cert I have been told to class it as and addition to an existing circuit.

but alls I'm doing is reconnecting a boiler to an existing supply by means of a 3amp 2pole isolator switch . any advise on what should be recorded??
thanks.

Do you mean a minor works cert?

He put MWC in the title of the post Lee

It's Friday mate, don't worry about it :) Daz

If we assume OP is connecting an appliance to an existing FCU, then options are:
1) Issue MWC
2) Do ZS test & RCD test (if present), and issue MWC for those tests
3) Do 2), but do not issue MWC
4) Just connect up the boiler

Personally, think I would do 3) or possibly 2).

I wire probably 3 heating systems a week combi boilers, s-plans, y-plans etc for my pals heating firm. Most new heat only boilers come with pump over run etc and their isn't enough cores at the boiler, everything has been wired in flex, cpc in room thermostat cable used as SL, cpc in programmer cable used as a SL, no strain relief/cable clamps in wiring centres, etc the list is endless. It's very rare that I come across heating wiring that is in a satisfactory state and in such order that I would be happy to connect the new boiler to it. 9/10 wiring centre needs pulling apart and starting again, cables/components need replacing.

I allow a day for a full y/s-plan with bonding and always issue a cert.

I do a fair bit of that sort of work too Lee and you're dead right, the existing wiring is usually a right mess. It can often take a day to get right,especially when components are in different parts of the property, the plumber and heating engineer I do the electrics for likes Valiant system boilers, 5 core H/R flex is ideal for them.

I do a fair bit of that sort of work too Lee and you're dead right, the existing wiring is usually a right mess. It can often take a day to get right,especially when components are in different parts of the property, the plumber and heating engineer I do the electrics for likes Valiant system boilers, 5 core H/R flex is ideal for them.

I mostly wire Worcester's which require the pump L and pump N to be wired off the pcb. If the boiler isn't in the same cupboard as the wiring centre I run a twin&earth and 3core and earth to boiler position, triple pole isolator next to boiler if the Switched fused spur isn't at the boiler position and then 6 core Heat resistant flex in to the boiler.

I done one the other week(fully pumped upgrade) where the pump and valves were under the worktop in the kitchen just below the boiler which was in a cupboard above the worktop, no existing room thermostat, no cable to hot water cylinder position which was other side of the house, tiled floors and laminate throughout, customer understandably didn't want trunking run everywhere so I installed a Honeywell RF2 pack 3 and was really impressed with it.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/honeyw...cxsXo7Pt9ErUKaXVT7FioiQfBOLxeffnnYaApfD8P8HAQ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 60

I've done similar Lee, usually it makes for an enjoyable job and I like to make the wiring centre look really neat inside, you end up with plenty of neutrals and cpc's though. :smile5: Surely the pump neutral could be connected in the wiring centre along with the switched pump live back from the boiler though rather than direct to the boiler ?

I've done similar Lee, usually it makes for an enjoyable job and I like to make the wiring centre look really neat inside, you end up with plenty of neutrals and cpc's though. :smile5: Surely the pump neutral could be connected in the wiring centre along with the switched pump live back from the boiler though rather than direct to the boiler ?

Yeah, it's just if there is ever an issue with the boiler Worcester come out and say it's been wired incorrectly as the pump N hasn't been taken to the terminal on the pcb (manufacturers instructions). We know it would be fine as you say but they try anything to get out of it. It the same with Ideal boilers.

I think the OP was just connecting a flex supply to the boiler, possibly a 'combi'? Integral programmer, pump, valves & wireless room stat, i.e. no fixed wiring other than the flex. Would you issue MWC for putting a plug top on an appliance and plugging it in?

Last edited:

I think the OP was just connecting a flex supply to the boiler, possibly a 'combi'? Integral programmer, pump, valves & wireless room stat, i.e. no fixed wiring other than the flex. Would you issue MWC for putting a plug top on an appliance and plugging it in?

It's not a plug-top - it's via an isolator according to the OP. Daz

hello,

thanks.

So then 'addition to existing circuit' is not appropriate to write in the description of works box?

Reply to what description of works to use for minor works cert. when replacing a boiler???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net