Discuss What Did You Start Off As? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I did a second job in Leeds as a teen to bump my money - Yes I was a Usher at Showcase Cinema when it first opened in Guildersome... best gig of my life, had no concern about losing it and got to wtch lods free movies all for tearing tickets and making and serving popcorn :)

I started as a Saturday boy/ school holidays at 15 in 1979, been in metering since 2010. Electric all my working life.

Guy I worked with in the early 80's, he gave up his apprenticeship to do DJ ing.
A guy I went to college with did the same. He seems to have done OK out of it, although I would have given anything for an apprenticeship when I was his age.
Personally I couldn't see a future in DJing - the smoking ban and 24 hour drinking had just been introduced, people didn't seem interested in DJs actually mixing tracks together any more, and the thought of still DJing in a bar when I was in my 40s made me cringe.

aged 14-15 paper round
15-17 potato farm labourer
17-19 table busser/ waiter @ Harvester/ Harry Ramsden
19-21 Builder's labourer for Brickies and plasterer.
21-24 University
24-25 Sheep farmer's labourer
25-26 Post Grad teaching degree
26-29 Supply teacher Secondary English
29-39 Electrician's mate through to Spark, self-employed, self-funded night school, large commercial through to employed street lighting local authority.
Is that varied enough?

Also done stretches on production lines in factories making TV's, Automotive cables, cleaning hotel bathrooms, packing eggs.....

Yup, not workshy me.

Exactly what I was looking for haha no you sound busy do you regret anything ?
That's good for a second job,
aged 14-15 paper round
15-17 potato farm labourer
17-19 table busser/ waiter @ Harvester/ Harry Ramsden
19-21 Builder's labourer for Brickies and plasterer.
21-24 University
24-25 Sheep farmer's labourer
25-26 Post Grad teaching degree
26-29 Supply teacher Secondary English
29-39 Electrician's mate through to Spark, self-employed, self-funded night school, large commercial through to employed street lighting local authority.
Is that varied enough?

Also done stretches on production lines in factories making TV's, Automotive cables, cleaning hotel bathrooms, packing eggs.....

Yup, not workshy me.

Paperboy, rose budder, cucumber picker, crouton flicker, barman, fish dipper, delivery driver, data installer, are just some some of the many mindless routines i enacted in my youth to pay my way through this mortal experience.

Worked two years as apprentice Automotive Electrician then changed to Maintenance electrician. Always worked in heavy industry and railway Signalling / Electrification

Worked in an office selling electronic components for 20 odd years till it all went pop. Retrained over 3 years night school and courses. Dislike being an electrician at times but it pays the bills. Could be a lot worse

Hi lee
Just the usual moans. Dust, insulation in lofts , bad payers. On the whole I enjoy it but I guess you get bad days in whatever line your in
On the other hand , enjoy site banter, solving problems , happy customers pleased with job well done etc

Started out as a male model, then moved into acting then an international movie star.... Then I woke up!!!!

16 -20, apprentice mechanical & electrical engineer.
21 - 25 steal fabricator & welder.
26 - present day, self employed multi skilled electrician/engineer.

Oh in between my stint as self employed I was employed as a maintenance manager for just over 12 months. Best job I've ever had! Unfortunately the company was sold to the Americans, down sized and most of the U.K. Staff made redundant

Last edited:
"Paperboy, rose budder, cucumber picker, crouton flicker, barman, fish dipper, delivery driver, data installer"

No income tax, no vat, no money back, no guarantee, black or white, rich or poor - welcome prices at your door. . . ."

I thought I'd finish that off for you Andy78 obviously to the music of 'only fools and horses'!

Reply to What Did You Start Off As? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock