Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss What Did You Work On Today? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Marvo

Marvo GMES....You absolute beauty. YOU ROCK DUDE!!!! Staff Member

Thought it might be interesting to see some of the things you guys work on. I had a fairly easy day today, I replaced a borehole pump motor and then removed a water pump that has a leak for repairs in our workshop.

The borehole pump was 80 meters down so we had to pull it out first by hand. Removing the motor is a piece of cake, literally 4x 8mm nuts. New motor on then a resin joint on the supply cable. An hour later after the joint is cured, reconnect pipe, truss everything up like a Christmas turkey with cable straps then back down the hole it goes.

[​IMG]
    Removing the pump.

[​IMG]
    Resin joint.

[​IMG]
    This is the dam that the borehole fills, it's half way up a mountain in the middle of nowhere so couldn't resist a quick skinny dip at lunch time to cool off whilst the joint was curing.

[​IMG]
    Disconnecting and removing the Grundfos pump (on the left of the photo) was all I did this afternoon.

That was it, home by 4pm.

I1.jpg

I2.jpg

i3.jpg

I4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Wow that is some place to work, me been on paperwork all week writing up an 800 circuit EICR. God damn ECA/ELESCA yearly assessment tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Good luck for tomorrow ...
    Do you know the guy - or just a random person who will ask if you know Ohms Law?

4. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Must've been pump day today, I did one too. Not so nice as Marvo, just a pool refurb. At least it was outside :)

5. westward10

Cheers Wilko, the Elesca bit is a joke we keep it because some rare jobs need Part P notification, how many this year, two but hey ho life is what you make it.

6. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Paaahhh that's nothing. I spent a several hours, in an extremely warm environment, and also very dry..........someone's itchy loft space.

Spent half an hour trying to drill a core hole with an SDS drill. Then to cap it all, lady of the house said can you fit me new Marks & Sparks light. Took down the old fitting and found this garbage.

Light.jpg

Still could be worse, could of been up some dusty mountain, being stalked by wild animals :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joshua

Joshua Steel Electrical Contractors Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    am I the only one here on easy Street?
    all I was doing was 2nd fixing a flat. The only drama I had was fishing light cables out the ceiling :eek:

8. AndyL

AndyL Electrician's Arms

Had my yearly assessment with niceic today

9. westward10

Good or bad day then.

10. AndyL

AndyL Electrician's Arms

Was a breeze, didn't agree 100% with a couple of points raised though

11. westward10

Top job, never back down me if I don't agree.

12. Marvo

Lol, no wild animals today just a couple of tortoises I relocated off the road. We work on a lot of remote bore holes and water pumps, it's work I enjoy doing and something of a niche market we kinda got well known for over the years. It started when I used to work on mining pumps which was an area that was swamped by big national and international players and we ended up doing more and more boreholes which was actually far more profitable for us and much preferable working environment but nobody else seemed particularly interested in at the time.

13. D00DY_T00DY

D00DY_T00DY Gorilla Whisperer Electrician's Arms

I worked in a multi million pound injection molding company adding a flood light under the sign, a fire alarm bell for a door bell (in the factory side for deliveries) did install a klaxon as the spec was and i quote "something loud"... way over kill as well as adding two sockets and a work light to five portable benches.
    Last time we were there before we installed a car charging point.
    Really enjoyed this job. Nice people working there and a nice end result.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marvo

Sounds like you had a good day D00dy :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. KennyKen

KennyKen Electrician's Arms

Easy street for me. I'm on RNR (rest and recuperation) for a week. 4 on 1 off roster.

16. GMES

GMES Chief Gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Fully automated Concrete Batching Plant, 630 amp supply. The red Buckets that look like an Alton towers ride operate on the mono-rail system that travels through the Factory delivering concrete to various locations, I will update the thread as it progresses.

20170407_130245.jpg

20170407_130249.jpg

20170407_130300.jpg

20170407_130303.jpg

20170407_130326.jpg

20170407_130339.jpg

20170407_130358.jpg

20170407_130414.jpg

20170407_130433.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Lou

Lou Admin Staff Member Top Contributor

Cool!

I worked on the plumbers forum updating some threads and did emails for the forums.

• Like Like x 1
  18. westward10

Now that looks an interesting job. Me back on this big EICR this morning and this afternoon feet up watching second day of Aintree race meeting.

19. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I've just remerged from that stinky, itchy, dusty loft. Seemed like a good idea 4 years ago when I retired. Need to revaluate :(

20. Marvo

Thursday was pump seal day, was uneventful and finished in under an hour including a quick pressure test so decided to reinstall it a day earlier than planned. All went well, home by 2.30pm.

IMG_2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  21. Marvo

Today was another different pump shutting down on overload. Some muppet already had wound the thermal overload to its max setting but alas it still trips intermittently. Not sure how they missed the burned connections on both the isolator and the L2 on the contactor but apparently they did.

New contactor and isolator fitted, week done so on the golf course by 11AM.

IMG_201.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Marvo

Well you get good days and bad days, today was more the latter.

1.jpg

Spent half the morning setting up a particularly complex program on a refrigeration controller, it was in a food production unit and a pain in the ass. The whole place was greasy and nastyand the controller had 6 levels of program which was way over-complicated for the job it was doing.

They had a 'while you're here' job with a dough roller which was bought at auction and less than a month old. It had been in use for less than a day and it started smelling of burning. It had never been opened because it had weird security screws and the security labels were still in tact. It was obviously manufactured in the Peoples Republic of Cheapa, I took one look at it and was lost for words. I recommended they scrap it.

Sorry about the picture quality, especially the last one but you can still make out the quality of the welding it was meant to illustrate.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

23. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Always fun to have something bought from an auction; I was asked to look at a car lift, totally seized and worn out, not worth scrap money.
    Whilst you are here jobs are a nuisance:
    "can you fix these lights?"
    "Well I would if I had known beforehand and brought the parts with me!"
    I was scrunched up trying to get along a narrow gap along a loft (plumbers blocking things up again) and I am not small, almost killed me and my arms are itching!

24. Marvo

Yep, I also hate those 'whilst you're here' jobs, they usually end up taking longer than the original job they asked for and they usually expect them for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Marvo

That machine pictured above was actually supplied with the fan 'retrofit' from the manufacturers because there wasn't room for the cover to go on the motor with the way it was hard up against the bottom panel. The whole machine looks like it was built in someones garage.