Discuss What do college courses teach these days? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been helping a friend put some conduit up today to run cat5e and phone cable down to the shed/office in his garden.
His son is doing a plumbing course at college and was keen to help with the conduit and bending,
His method of putting an off set into the conduit was to get a butane torch and warm it up until he could basically form it into shape.
We let him carry on and watched with interest, he let the conduit go pretty soft, but not melt, he kept the torch about 5 inches from the conduit and kept it moving, then put the end into the adaptor in the pattress box. then whilst still soft bent the off set in so looked tidy and placed the upright part into the saddle, held it in place and used wet rag to set it good.
Have to say i never had considered doing that myself, i was about to get the bending spring out.
I asked him is this what they teach you at college these days? his answer was interesting, they don't teach us much to be fair, its mainly health and safety rubbish and then how to pass the course assessments, He says he learns more watching youtube! Sad really as he clearly wants to learn and thankfully has an apprenticeship lined up now after struggling to get taken on.
That pretty much sums up the courses in college these days, teach to pass not teach to actually give somebody a skill they can use and build upon. I had a lad work with me for a bit of experience recently, he had nearly finished his 2365 L3 and was next to useless at bending metal conduit, had to teach him how to mark it out and bend correctly.

I echo his comments tbh. Personally it seems theres far too many students that are not interested, almost like that are being forced to be there.

I don't know if this has an effect on the teaching styles/appraoches of the tutors but personally it does feel like they just want to rush you through things without a thorough explanation or detail. I have learnt a lot from YouTube/this forum and other online resources.

Iv realised I'm better off doing my own personal research and further development and just get through my apprenticeship. Luckily I'm hard on myself so it's not a problem and I think I'll still finish my apprenticeship with a good and varied array of skills.

In the last year of college I learnt a couple of things especially as the idiots at work decided to send me out on a Friday, don't drink triple vodkas at lunch time, Sally the hottie from the secretarial side of the college usually wore red knickers under her leather mini skirt and was very nimble in the space of a Ford Capri. Damn I miss that 1.6S ;o))))

And don't be fecked off your face when sitting the approved electricians exam..........

Reply to What do college courses teach these days? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock