Discuss What do we need RCDs fit anyway... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not sure if there is a specific group for posting things like this?

When your RCD stops working this is a much cheaper remedy to the problem..

This issue was quickly rectified for the customer (correctly)

View attachment 41769
Right old cock up is that.

Shorting out the RCD for continued operation is something I wouldn't have considered as a method of providing a safe electrical environment for the clients...
Do you know why it might be dangerous? DO you drive a vehicle with wheels or legs?

Is this bypassing the RCD, or just getting a live to the MCB because the bus bar is too short?
What is that cable covered in black tape in the RCD Neutral?

Just to clarify. This is how I found the board, not sure if my sarcasm came over correctly in my post. I hope no one thinks I was suggesting this was actually my remedy.

I have put a new RCD in. It is a temp fix as it is not a Volex RCD as I’m struggling to find a source for a Volex brand? Can anyone suggest a compatible brand or should this be a complete board change if Volex no longer exist (surely not tho?)
Shorting out the RCD for continued operation is something I wouldn't have considered as a method of providing a safe electrical environment for the clients...
Do you know why it might be dangerous? DO you drive a vehicle with wheels or legs?

Is this bypassing the RCD, or just getting a live to the MCB because the bus bar is too short?
What is that cable covered in black tape in the RCD Neutral?

The RCD has been bypassed because it wasn’t working so non of the socket circuits were protected.

I found it by chance because I was there to do an unrelated job

I would not have done any temp fix with a non compatible device.
I do a lot of call outs for estate agents etc. It's impossible to carry every make, model and size of RCD/RCBO/MCB on the van and sometimes a replacement is 7-10 days away. Would you leave a property without power for 7-10 days, or fit something that fits safely in as a temp fix?

The reason we don’t mix and match compatible components in CUs, is because we lose the 16kA type tested breaking capacity.
If the individual breaking capacity of the individual components is greater than the PFC, there is no reason why they can’t mixed and matched.

In this particular instance the components have already been mixed and matched, so the 16kA type tested breaking capacity has already been lost.
As such adding another component to the mix will not make the installation any less safe and will improve safety by providing RCD protection to the sockets.

Reply to What do we need RCDs fit anyway... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock