Discuss What do you code these? Commercial installation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

c3 for the mismatch of protective device brands
c3 for no ferrules on fine stranded SY in bars
c3 for excess copper showing in that mcb
c3 for the use of SY where greases and heat are present if not deteriorated (also whats been done with the braid)

just my opinion anyway

Last edited:
c3 for the mismatch of protective device brands
c3 for no ferrules on fine stranded SY
c3 for excess copper showing in that mcb
c3 for the use of SY where greases and heat are present if not deteriorated (also whats been done with the braid)

just my opinion anyway
No code for the mixture of manufacturers’ equipment, as that requirement doesn’t come into force until January the 1st.
No code for lack of ferrules on fine stranded cables, as there is no requirement for ferrules in BS7671.
No code for using SY cable, as there is no prohibition against using SY cable in BS7671.

I am concerned that a ‘C’ type MCB has been installed.

sorry spin:
There is a requirement to suitably treat fine stranded conductors in screw down terminals.
SY cable isn't heat or grease retardant so may not be suitable in a kitchen environment.
& we can work to the 18th now.
526.9.1 Connection of multiwire, finewire and very finewire conductors
In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.
It does not state “ferrules’.
A long standing practice for protecting such wires is to twist the exposed strands together and then fold them over.

Whilst we are allowed to design, install and initially verify installations to the 18th edition, inspection and testing of existing installations should be conducted to the current edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
526.9.1 Connection of multiwire, finewire and very finewireconductors
In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.
A long standing practice for protecting such wires is to twist the exposed strands together and then fold them over.

long standing practice it may be but in my book those methods do not prevent damage to the cores, either way it is clear in that picture no methods have been employed at all.

526.9.1 Connection of multiwire, finewire and very finewire conductors

Whilst we are allowed to design, install and initially verify installations to the 18th edition, inspection and testing of existing installations should be conducted to the current edition.

Hmmm, isn't a ferrule a terminal?

And, in BGB: BS7671:2008:Amd 1:
526.9.1 In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or
very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.

Hmmm, isn't a ferrule a terminal?

And, in BGB: BS7671:2008:Amd 1:
526.9.1 In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or
very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.
No a ferrule is used to treat the end of a conductor.
The terminal is the part with the screw.
In the case of MCBs, the terminals are designed so the screw part of the terminal does not make physical contact with the conductor.
The neutral bar however in the top picture has nothing to protect the conductor from the screw.

I hadn't noticed the hinges look nackard in the photo too, and also there's a window for the breakers? how well does that fit? that thing is basically f****'d in so many ways:D :p
The reason the hinges are nackard is because there is a water pipe obstructing the opening of the lid and it has been forcibly opened in the passed.

Reply to What do you code these? Commercial installation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net