Discuss What do you make about this drone at gatwick airport in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There's a few things wrong with this whole situation. I'm no drone expert, however don't understand:
  • from the comfort of a UK or US air base, the military can take out an individual on a different continent using an unmanned aircraft, yet are unable to catch either the drone or the persons operating little more than a toy, within a few square miles.
  • Ofcom are able to track and confiscate equipment in cases of unauthorised use of RF spectrum (for example, PMSE users operating on TV channels no longer available for PMSE use). I would have thought Ofcom's expertise would have been called upon quite early on in the operation, however haven't read so much as a single article even mentioning their involvement (if any).
  • I can understand the police helicopters not wanting to get too close to the drone, in case it was loaded, however an Apache helicopter could have been quickly deployed to destroy it in mid air.
  • Even more basic, why could a larger drone not have been sent up to chase and either net it or simply crash into it, sending both to the ground?
  • It is reported that the drone kept disappearing and reappearing, why were Police drones not locked on to follow it? It must have been landed and re-fueled several times, unless it has some awesome batteries inside! Yet no one knows where it disappeared to, or reappeared from...

I think this situation reveals exactly how impotent the authorities are. Ofcom are a regulatory authority and will in no way have the capability of dealing with a fast time incident on an authorised RF presumably set aside for all drone users.
Some how I can’t see an Apache Helicopter being allowed to unleash high calibre machine guns over Gatwick airport to try and hit a tiny and agile drone. More likely to hit poor Mrs Miggins of Crawley sipping her cup of tea in her living room whilst perusing the latest offerings of electriciansforums.co.uk ;)

You've got to remember that they won't release all the details of this while it is still on-going. There will be far more activity and agencies involved than you think.
You’d like to think so but what I’ve experienced with Surrey and Sussex Police I think their senior management will be more worried about their image and next press release rather that solving the actual problem.

There's a few things wrong with this whole situation. I'm no drone expert, however don't understand:
  • from the comfort of a UK or US air base, the military can take out an individual on a different continent using an unmanned aircraft, yet are unable to catch either the drone or the persons operating little more than a toy, within a few square miles.
  • Ofcom are able to track and confiscate equipment in cases of unauthorised use of RF spectrum (for example, PMSE users operating on TV channels no longer available for PMSE use). I would have thought Ofcom's expertise would have been called upon quite early on in the operation, however haven't read so much as a single article even mentioning their involvement (if any).
  • I can understand the police helicopters not wanting to get too close to the drone, in case it was loaded, however an Apache helicopter could have been quickly deployed to destroy it in mid air.
  • Even more basic, why could a larger drone not have been sent up to chase and either net it or simply crash into it, sending both to the ground?
  • It is reported that the drone kept disappearing and reappearing, why were Police drones not locked on to follow it? It must have been landed and re-fueled several times, unless it has some awesome batteries inside! Yet no one knows where it disappeared to, or reappeared from...
The owner of the drone over Gatwick has bypassed all the security measures, GPS positioning, geo fencing, fly to home etc etc etc.......

It might be a bit like the powers to be "allowing" terrorist attacks the using that as an excuse to clamp down on civil liberties like installing more CCTV cameras, the terrorists don't give a ---- as they are going to meet the gay virgins to be bummed for eternity but the rest of us are under more "control".

Some how I can’t see an Apache Helicopter being allowed to unleash high calibre machine guns over Gatwick airport to try and hit a tiny and agile drone.
Alan, I wasn't suggesting that - my point was, whilst appreciating a Police helicopter may not want to get too close in case the drone contained explosives, an Apache is designed to operate in such conditions and could simply crash the drone out of airspace. No James Bond stuff necessary!

Let's hope we never come under attack from a well financed and organised enemy if our country's finest can't deal with one toy drone.

No she wouldn’t do it but she would get my MP Jeremy the spineless *unt to do it.
A brother of mine was in his house a few weeks ago. He wanted my brother to redecorate his house due to works going on next door.

His oriental wife was running around barefoot, and they even made my brother take his shoes off as well. It didn't put him in a conducive spirit for giving away free work.

A brother of mine was in his house a few weeks ago. He wanted my brother to redecorate his house due to works going on next door.

His oriental wife was running around barefoot, and they even made my brother take his shoes off as well. It didn't put him in a conducive spirit for giving away free work.
Sounds like a riddle, how many bare foot brothers does rapparee have that have with a wife in to ping pong........

Reply to What do you make about this drone at gatwick airport in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock