Discuss What do you think of these thermal indicators? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

They look a good idea, perhaps I'm missing something but the notice supplied with them says to check them regularly, however they are fitted where the user does not have access, i.e. Inside the DB with the cover off.
That was one of my thoughts, its not for joe public, more for the electrician. never less a good thing to include when fitting a CU.

If you're in the CU and you've installed a circuit or testing you would check all the terminals so - good workmanship wins again.
To me it's an invention that doesn't need inventing. To me, an overheating circuit will be in the CU (check terminals for tightness and visual thermal damage) or at the load end (visual and tightness)
Perhaps the best solution is to make conductor insulation out of it.
Like those t shirts in the 80s that changed colour when you were dancing to 'Staying alive' at the disco - all it said was SWEATY DUDE STAY CLEAR (good dancer though)

If you're in the CU and you've installed a circuit or testing you would check all the terminals so - good workmanship wins again.
To me it's an invention that doesn't need inventing. To me, an overheating circuit will be in the CU (check terminals for tightness and visual thermal damage) or at the load end (visual and tightness)
Perhaps the best solution is to make conductor insulation out of it.
Like those t shirts in the 80s that changed colour when you were dancing to 'Staying alive' at the disco - all it said was SWEATY DUDE STAY CLEAR (good dancer though)
Was that a Bristol thing? cant say we had those t shirts in Moles in Bath.

Was interested in the details so googled it. They (sellers of the Biothermal shirts) made 50 million dollars in months but didn't slow the market to control it. Oh and the shirts went a murky brown after a couple of washes as it was only a second dye with a chemical and saline to sense the temperature change.
Someone else came out with the idea again in 2008 but people were over it by then.
Moles - now that's going back a few years!

@Gavin John Hyde ,

I've been trying to find a price for them, how much are they?
When I go In Kew Electrical again next week i will ask. It is one of them places where they dont show prices, you get charged based on what you spend and 9 times out of 10 they are cheapest in town. will always try and undercut others if they can.

Edit
According to t'interweb YESS stock them so if you have the book to hand might be worth a look?

Last edited:
When I go In Kew Electrical again next week i will ask. It is one of them places where they dont show prices, you get charged based on what you spend and 9 times out of 10 they are cheapest in town. will always try and undercut others if they can

Great, thanks :)

Tried finding prices at some of their distributors... couldn't even find the product.

I'm confused. Only someone investigating a potential issue would ever take the cover off to see the indicators in the first place. And the only people that should take the cover off would be equipped to test anyway - and would almost certainly know which circuit was to be investigated as something on that circuit would be the reason they were called out.

Would make a great deal of sense if MCB's had overheating indicators built in though, as they could be visible from the front of the unit.

Similar temperature tell-tales,are available for the engineering job,with a range of limits and applications.
A thought would need to be given to any possible environment condition,such as someone sticking a fan heater on full,in the room with the DB,to dry a carpet...and tripping all them decals.

My missus could get any given room,to 70 degrees C :(

@SparkyChick
Went in KEW this morning, nearly choked these indicators are £10.76+vat per pack but did say if I am ordering some other bits at the same time then they can come to a deal, as they aren't selling many of them at the moment!
at that price I wouldn't necessarily use them on every circuit but on the ones where over heating and loose connections are most common such as showers, cookers etc and the relevant isolation switches. then they could be useful as a indicator or to keep an eye on a vague intermittent problem that is not showing up during testing. could use them on the tails going into main switch too.

Thanks @Gavin John Hyde

£0.34+VAT each... they've got to be kidding, no wonder they aren't selling that many. It's hardly new technology, just a new application.

Crazy pricing.

Worst thing is of course, is if you only use them on big cables, they are even more expensive per clip and you're going to end up with a bag full of the small ones.

Nice idea, but I won't be buying them at that price.

Was interested in the details so googled it. They (sellers of the Biothermal shirts) made 50 million dollars in months but didn't slow the market to control it. Oh and the shirts went a murky brown after a couple of washes as it was only a second dye with a chemical and saline to sense the temperature change.
Someone else came out with the idea again in 2008 but people were over it by then.
Moles - now that's going back a few years!
Friend of mine works for the guy that imported them in to the UK in the day (Global Hypercolor) as well as being the distributer for Vans trainers, made a shed load of money worth about £75M now.

Reply to What do you think of these thermal indicators? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock