Discuss what drill to buy??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

a.e.s

My 18v makita is dying rapidly and I need to replace it, I am thinking either
Hitachi DS14DL 14.4V or

Makita BHP454 18-Volt LXT.

I have found the hitachi for about £230 and the makita for £300. I have used the hitachi quite a bit as my supervisor has had a couple, I was wondering whether it is worth paying the extra for the makita, and just to here peoples general views on these, or other recommended drills around this sort of price

go makita mate, no offence to anyone who has a hitatchi but they should stick to making dvd players and tellys and stay away from power tools!!

MAKITA

hi

recently bought an aeg and i have found it very good value for money.

1x 14.4v drill c/w 2 li ion 3ah batts & charger in a case
1x 14.4v impact driver c/w 2 li ion batts & charger in a case
3 yr warranty
all for £200 inc vat. not bad i thought

cheers

have been using ryobi 18v drill/driver for over two years and had no problems.got strange looks at first and told by others that it was only for diy but have proved many wrong and now having 2 lithem ion battries find there is no need to charge them two or three times a day.also have the flash light,grinder,impact driver and circuler saw so no need to worry about leads left across floors.for sds drilling i have an old 24v spit that charges 3amp batt from empty to full in 23 min .so all i can say is try what you can and if you find one that suits you get it nomatter what the rest say.

my previous company bought us the makita from screwfix £99 which did the job, we were mainly service biased however, have previously had dewalt which also good, my own personal drill is a bosch i got from b & q for £79 a few years ago and i also have one of the bosch li ion drivers which is a good bit of kit

Hi Wurm,

I have an Hitach1 DV18DSL and its brilliant, 3ah lithium batteries and will even handle 25mm auger bits.
Forget the dvd comments as they can't be based on experience of their current models.

Cheers

Andy

I've been through all the makes, DeWalt, Makita, Bocsh etc and i can honestly say that for hammer drilling, the Hilti range is about the best, My 36v cordless is 3 years old now and bullet proof. I also use a high speed 24v cordless hilti drill for 32mm holes through joists etc. they can sure get hot with 100's of holes at a time and i have melted away loads of the DeWalt XRP range in the past.

TE 7-A cordless rotary hammer drill - hilti.co.uk
UH 240-A cordless drill / driver / hammer - hilti.co.uk

For screwdriving and light drilling I use the Festool (german made, simply stunning piece of engineering) drills.

http://www.festool.co.uk/mediandowe...&ID_O_TREE_GROUP=5549&PARENT=1569&AKTIVPROD=1

Remember, quality remains long after the price has been forgotten.

If your gonna buy a tool, buy a good one.

Mark

Thanks for all the responses guys, as jason said, I bought his makita off him the other day, which I am really happy with, I am glad I stuck with makita in the end, it is just a shame I have barely used it since I bought it as I hae just been pulling cables in all week.

Reply to what drill to buy??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net