Discuss What is a Domestic Installer ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave Buchan

Hi guys,

Here's an interesting one for you, if you look at the attachment on this post from the IET they define a domestic installer as " not an electrician "

If you go to the niceic website and click the 'FIND ELECTRICIAN' tab and select 'ALL ELECTRICAL WORK' it will display various domestic installers and approved contractors in your local area.

So is the domestic installer an ELECTRICIAN?

According to the people who write the national safety standards apparently this is not the case.......

Yet the guys who regulate them for crucial safety reasons seem to know otherwise.....

So who is right?

The IET

or

NICEIC

Attachments

• 2005_15_summer_wiring_matters_part_p_domestic_installer.pdf
    201.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Niceic website.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 112
Two very different definitions mate!,

IET, Domestic installer = 4 week wonders

NICEIC, Domesic installer = competent person registered on their DI scheme to enabe them to self certify under part P, next step up is Approved contractor.

Cheers pal, wouldn't you have thought they would have got their heads together and standardised the definition across the board so that there is no confusion?

Cheers pal, wouldn't you have thought they would have got their heads together and standardised the definition across the board so that there is no confusion?

Are you serious?? ****, elbow etc etc <- make a well know saying that could be applied to these two !

Never going to happen, they like to make things as confusing as possible!!

lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for them to be singing off one hymn sheet they would need to comunicate.

Not going to happen!

IET, DI = 4 week wonders used to be refered to as defined scope, not heard of that term in quite a while

too much money to be made by all these organizations . None of them truly have you in their hearts

Its a screw up. I would love to see the private sector removed 100% from running these schemes.

The IET is run by engineers and rightly recognise the 4 week wonders as not being electricians. After 4 weeks youre not even an electricians mate. The NICEIC are recognising 4 week wonders as being electricians as they are paying for the privalige of being recognised by a scam scheme that the public at large do not undrstand.

Two very different definitions mate!,

IET, Domestic installer = 4 week wonders

NICEIC, Domesic installer = competent person registered on their DI scheme to enabe them to self certify under part P, next step up is Approved contractor.

Tried to find the IET "Domestic installer" course page...could not find it ! Any links ?
surly this would not enable to self certify ?

Still no further forward for a definition of a domestic installer.......

I can get one for an electrician....

electrician's mate....

Domestic Installer?

Iet don't run schemes or quals, someone that has the disq qual with the regs is a domestic installer as far as iet are concerned, but they would still have to enrol with a scheme provider such as niceic as a domestic installer in order to be able to notify

I'm glad I just spotted this thread as another was getting Hi-Jacked ;)

2. FOR SURE but doesn't make it acceptable that professional trading bodies are allowing unexperienced trainees on to their books as full electricians

A Domestic Installer is MOST DEFINITELY NOT an ELECTRICIAN.

There is a huge difference!

These words have been posted by someone who is coming to the final stages of completing their "Short Course"

Oh, perhaps I should add that I have used the 18 month time-scale in full AND managed to gain a significant amount of on site (Domestic) experience

I believe that Domestic Installers call themselves Electricians because MANY homeowners do not have the word "DOMESTIC" in their vocabulary. I do not believe though that they really give a monkeys about the ins and outs of the differences because all the home-owner is interested in is getting the best job done for the least amount of money.

I'm glad I just spotted this thread as another was getting Hi-Jacked ;)

A Domestic Installer is MOST DEFINITELY NOT an ELECTRICIAN.

There is a huge difference!

These words have been posted by someone who is coming to the final stages of completing their "Short Course"

Oh, perhaps I should add that I have used the 18 month time-scale in full AND managed to gain a significant amount of on site (Domestic) experience

I believe that Domestic Installers call themselves Electricians because MANY homeowners do not have the word "DOMESTIC" in their vocabulary. I do not believe though that they really give a monkeys about the ins and outs of the differences because all the home-owner is interested in is getting the best job done for the least amount of money.

Sometimes I wonder why I am constantly being referered to in threads when I'm not even online...But here is goes.

If you read the original pDF The IET they say domestic installers with a level 2 are not electricians but those with a level 3 qualification are.

I don't know why you have quoted me on this thread. I can only think of it being the reason that I said schemes are allowing domestic installers on there books and calling thyem electricians. Well unfortunately this is true. Whether the IET says different of not the NICEIC are calling their domestic installers 'ELECTRICIANS' you search like the OP did on the 'find an electrician' part of the NICEIC website. Domestic Installers are being called electricians and how can any customer know the difference from a level 2 DI and a Level 3 DI?

Sometimes I wonder why I am constantly being referered to in threads when I'm not even online...But here is goes.

If you read the original pDF The IET they say domestic installers with a level 2 are not electricians but those with a level 3 qualification are.

I don't know why you have quoted me on this thread. I can only think of it being the reason that I said schemes are allowing domestic installers on there books and calling thyem electricians. Well unfortunately this is true. Whether the IET says different of not the NICEIC are calling their domestic installers 'ELECTRICIANS' you search like the OP did on the 'find an electrician' part of the NICEIC website. Domestic Installers are being called electricians and how can any customer know the difference from a level 2 DI and a Level 3 DI?

Electricalserv, I have not quoted you in order to start a battle with you. I think that should be cleared straight away... It seems you have enough friends to deal with at the moment and I'm sure you don't need one more lol

The reason I posted in here is because your post was much more suited to this thread than the "Tool List" thread that got Hi-Jacked ;) Besides this now gives everyone a chance to discuss a topic that was first raised back in February and went quiet.

Unfortunately I have not been interested in knowing the exact differences between Electrician, Domestic Installer Level Two and Domestic Installer Level Three because it's not relevant to any question I'm likely to be asked that is associated with the work I will be doing.

I'm guessing though that the Level 3 has completed the Domestic Installer and then gone on to do the Test and Inspect course which they would have had to have gained at least 6 months experience and undergo vigorous testing and therefore deserve the Electrician name title?

I'd be interested to know the opinions of more people who are on these courses at the moment. Am I one of the only ones that will be putting Domestic Installer on a business card as opposed to Electrician? Interesting :)

Electricalserv, I have not quoted you in order to start a battle with you. I think that should be cleared straight away... It seems you have enough friends to deal with at the moment and I'm sure you don't need one more lol

The reason I posted in here is because your post was much more suited to this thread than the "Tool List" thread that got Hi-Jacked ;) Besides this now gives everyone a chance to discuss a topic that was first raised back in February and went quiet.

Unfortunately I have not been interested in knowing the exact differences between Electrician, Domestic Installer Level Two and Domestic Installer Level Three because it's not relevant to any question I'm likely to be asked that is associated with the work I will be doing.

I'm guessing though that the Level 3 has completed the Domestic Installer and then gone on to do the Test and Inspect course which they would have had to have gained at least 6 months experience and undergo vigorous testing and therefore deserve the Electrician name title?

I'd be interested to know the opinions of more people who are on these courses at the moment. Am I one of the only ones that will be putting Domestic Installer on a business card as opposed to Electrician? Interesting :)

here we go, here we go, here we go. Here we go, here we go, here we go ​oooo. HERE WE GO! lol.

LOL! But seriously lads lets bring this argument to some sort of sensible and agreed conclusion for all our sakes and sanity!
WHAT EXACTLY IS A DOMESTIC INSTALLER?
1. AN ELECTRICIAN?
2. NOT AN ELECTRICIAN?
3. ANOTHER PORTION OF THE ELECTRICAL TRADE WATERED DOWN TO MAKE PROFIT FOR SCAM TRAINING PROVIDERS?

Reply to What is a Domestic Installer ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net