Discuss What is a Improver allowed to do? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stephen hendy

Currently working as an improver and been given a lot of responsibility. Doing jobs on my own. Dealing with customers daily. Also doing big led instal jobs on my own with an apprentice. Is this common?

Do you feel confident with the work? Do you enjoy the responsibility?
If the answer to both is yes then you've got a bright future (no pun intended).
If you however feel that it IS too much responsibility then you need to have a sit down with the boss and yes, maybe make the tea for that meeting!

Don't think you should work unsupervised, mind you I am a bit ancient, so could be wrong, wait until the Mob get home, have their Dinner and get logged on, someone wiser in these rules should be able to give you the correct SP.

I would say as an improver you will not be ready to show an apprentice how to go on if technically you are still in training yourself.
I did once work on a job in Tottenham on a new benetton store ( the youngsters probably won't know that name) anyway I spent all week dealing with who I thought was the head spark only to realise he was the mate, bloody Good lad he was his boss was a tool who I thought was the mate lol.
Also it could be tricky from a legal point if God forbid something went wrong as you're not fully qualified.

As an electrical improver your priority should be getting fully qualified and up to a higher rate of pay. It sounds like your boss is taking short cuts by nog paying a fully qualified spark.
Been like that since when I "wer a Lad"

Yeah I do enjoy the responsibility a lot. I agree with what you say about teaching the apprentice as I'm still learning. It's annoying as my level 3 course won't be starting till September! Mean time I'm trying my hardest to find a local college to do my 2394/95 course. But finding that difficult as none of them can seem to get minimum candidate requirements so keep getting let down! But yes the sooner I'm qualified the better!

Well if you're booked into a course in September, you seem to be doing things right. Ultimately the responsibility will lie with your boss until you're qualified and after that the buck will stop with you. You can teach apprentices. I remember our place having senior apprentices teaching junior apprentices.

Was going to say, do you have method statements and risk assessments done for the job and do you get told what you are doing and what the work schedule is? If you get all these then you are obviously trusted but as has been said from a legal point of view your boss could be on a rocky path.

Dear OP, I think you don't know you're born,and are lucky to have such a trusting and helpful boss.
Keep on,keeping on,and keep your head down...just do as you are told.
Regards The OP's Boss.

(Hey,bosses log on,too :) )

Agree with PEG on this one. My boss only tells me what to do and how to do it.
Sometimes it's nice to be doing Jobs and thinking about what goes into it.

Starting to take on more responsibility still no signs of a pay rise other than the legal ones.

(Are you actually his boss?)

Agree with PEG on this one. My boss only tells me what to do and how to do it.
Sometimes it's nice to be doing Jobs and thinking about what goes into it.

Starting to take on more responsibility still no signs of a pay rise other than the legal ones.

(Are you actually his boss?)

He would have a fair old drive,or lodge allowance,to be with me ;)

....I was just exaggerating the possibility,that his boss may read such posts,and may initiate a meeting the following morning,leading with phrases like "Whinge and Grass" :(

I'm just trying to view the OP's understandable,and legitimate,complaint,through the eyes of someone who can just about remember when people talked,instead of typed.

Had the OP voiced this same issue,in a site cabin,with half a dozen of his peers,the first cry would have been "What are you telling us for? Get down the office,now,and tell the boss how it is!"

Just don't forget to tell him,if it gets a little "tense","Listen,i've been sacked from better jobs than this,pal!..." :eek:

I'm not moaning about it I enjoy the responsibility! I was just unsure if I had to be supervised a little more than what I am. But I am very competent anyway so I guess not from what you guys have said

He would have a fair old drive,or lodge allowance,to be with me ;)

....I was just exaggerating the possibility,that his boss may read such posts,and may initiate a meeting the following morning,leading with phrases like "Whinge and Grass" :(

I'm just trying to view the OP's understandable,and legitimate,complaint,through the eyes of someone who can just about remember when people talked,instead of typed.

Had the OP voiced this same issue,in a site cabin,with half a dozen of his peers,the first cry would have been "What are you telling us for? Get down the office,now,and tell the boss how it is!"

Just don't forget to tell him,if it gets a little "tense","Listen,i've been sacked from better jobs than this,pal!..." :eek:
Sort of checked the locations after I posted haha
Would have been funny if his boss is a member lol

Yeah I do enjoy the responsibility a lot. I agree with what you say about teaching the apprentice as I'm still learning. It's annoying as my level 3 course won't be starting till September! Mean time I'm trying my hardest to find a local college to do my 2394/95 course. But finding that difficult as none of them can seem to get minimum candidate requirements so keep getting let down! But yes the sooner I'm qualified the better!

If you are only level 2 you are still a mate really, I personally wouldn't class you as an improver until you was level 3. responsibility is good but you aren't even level 3 yet so you shouldn't be teaching an apprentice anything as you still have so much to learn yourself.

Being chucked in the deep in is sometimes the best way to learn but I would always say if you ever unsure don't blag it find out how to do it from someone senior to you.

Reply to What is a Improver allowed to do? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock