Discuss What is the best way to wire this bench testing setup? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I imagine the PSU was used at college, partly because they had one knocking around, partly because they didn’t want Students’ mistakes knocking out half the college and partly to provide a separated safe supply for the Students to work with.

I imagine the PSU was used at college, partly because they had one knocking around, partly because they didn’t want Students’ mistakes knocking out half the college and partly to provide a separated safe supply for the Students to work with.

Hi Spin,

It was probably due to safety.

I just wanted to make sure that I was not doing something overly wrong because they never really explained it to us.

We were just told to use them and they units are marketed for use as School Lab units.

Thanks

You'd be as well ordering online for the CU, but see what they have in your local Screwfix. Plugs are only a quid or two. Banana plugs could be picked up in the likes of Maplins if you have one nearby. The flex would probably be best bought online as you only need a few metres. Alternatively you could sacrifice a few metres off the end of an old extension lead if you have one!

Hi Resu,

I've just had a look around and Screfix have a CU for £29.99 at my local branch.

I need to go there today to take some items back for a refund. But my refund would get swallowed by the extra cost of the CU from them compared to the one that you showed me.

So I might just order some of this stuff off Ebay because I an not in a major rush for it.

It would be nice to get it all today but I can save myself £10-£15 by waiting a couple more.

Hi Spin,

It was probably due to safety.

I just wanted to make sure that I was not doing something overly wrong because they never really explained it to us.

We were just told to use them and they units are marketed for use as School Lab units.

Thanks
Down to safety? The main points to look at regarding safety are the scattered open live connections.....

Down to safety? The main points to look at regarding safety are the scattered open live connections.....
Remember the PSU provides a separated supply.
Whilst the CPCs are connected at the accessories and the small CU, there is no Earth between the PSU and the small CU (or at least there shouldn’t be).
Whether the set up shown complies with BS7671 is debatable.

Reply to What is the best way to wire this bench testing setup? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net