Discuss What is this? Faulty component in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve come across a Faulty bathroom fan which is linked with the bathroom light, went up into loft and the equipment in the loft is what is faulty. Power getting to it, but not passing through.
No switches on it etc etc, it’s a blanked off backbox.

Picture attached below

Thank you in advance

B1AFB9CC-D8F0-4E3B-B0C9-127FBAA00335.jpeg

It is live, sits between the fan and the isolator switch.

Whatever it is, its fried, power is live to it, but not flowing through

What did you test it with?
It is a transformer, the output would normally be 12V so a tester which detects mains voltage may not necessarily give a correct reading of the output voltage.

looks like a DIY step down Tx. should have 12V a.c on the secondary,unless it's an attempt on an isolating Tx. check fan, see if it's 240V or 12V.

Hi,

I’ve come across a Faulty bathroom fan which is linked with the bathroom light, went up into loft and the equipment in the loft is what is faulty. Power getting to it, but not passing through.
No switches on it etc etc, it’s a blanked off backbox.

Picture attached below

Thank you in advance

View attachment 47235
Transformer?

It was 12v Transformer, Ive just popped out and bought the same fan which comes with a new transformer (me being a retarded, should of just looked first before coming on here!), changed the back box so its correct, wired in the new 12v and replaced the fan, its working again

Not necessarily DIY, some cheaper SELV fans come with that crap as their SELV source.
I’ve seen Vent Axia fans come with transformers the same as in the OPs picture!
I remember the older fans came as a proper front unit that could mount into a flush double box.

It was 12v Transformer, Ive just popped out and bought the same fan which comes with a new transformer (me being a retarded, should of just looked first before coming on here!), changed the back box so its correct, wired in the new 12v and replaced the fan, its working again

Just a thought here, was the old transformer covered with the loft insulation? If it was, this may have led it to overheating (judging by the melted cover) and failing.

Reply to What is this? Faulty component in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net