Discuss What is wrong with this light rose wiring!? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

IronAngus

Hello, really hoping you good people could help solve this problem that's been bugging me for over a week now.

Recently changed all the sockets & light fittings in my home only because the previous ones were looking a little old-hat & worn out. All fitted & working fine with no problem; until I come to the final light rose in the spare room.
Tried wiring the same as previous as best as I can but to no avail. Searched Google for several diagrams and followed them but still no function.
I think the confusion is that this fitting has both old & new UK wiring colours but I am just guessing at this stage!

Please check the attached pictures and help me light my spare room again :(

What is wrong with this light rose wiring!? IMG-20170323-WA0000 - EletriciansForums.net

What is wrong with this light rose wiring!? IMG-20170323-WA0001 - EletriciansForums.net

What is wrong with this light rose wiring!? IMG-20170323-WA0002 - EletriciansForums.net

Without knowing where those cables go, it's going to be pretty hard to solve this.

My advice is find a local spark and have them come and sort it.

Hi, just had a peek with a torch.
The flex goes to a mini flourescent/vanity light on a fitted wardrobe with it's own pull cord/switch.
There is only one light switch in the room & no other lights in the house are affected by this not being wired in.

I know it's only low risk but that ceiling may have asbestos in it how old is the property?
Also agree with above in your post you say your guessing please don't as guessing could hurt. Have you seen the flex elsewhere if it's a upstairs room have a look in the loft to see where the cable goes but so you can inform a local spark.

Yeah... Think I will just call a local Spark in the morning :/
Appreciate the responses.
As I'm here; do you know (ballpark) how much I would pay for a job like this??
Never needed a Spark until now so am in the dark (no pun).

simple. the reds go in the centre terminal as they seem to be. the 2 blacks twisted go in the right hand 3 port termial (top photo). the single black goes in the left 2 port terminal. your flex should be brown with the reds, blue to the 2 blacks. then your actual lamp goes brown to the single black and blue to the 2 blacks. try and make your terminations good with no copper visible. bit if IN ANY DOUBT. GET A LOCAL SPARKS IN.

Expect to pay double for the fact that you have messed around with it already.

From the pictures and what you've told us and they can test the flex to 100% confirm its use as the vanity light only then I would personally charge an hours labour (as that is my minimum) but that depends where you are and if things are as you've explained.

Is that how you have connected the others, all poorly twisted into one terminal and bare cpcs. I would get an electrician to check the lot.

Is that how you have connected the others, all poorly twisted into one terminal and bare cpcs. I would get an electrician to check the lot.
from the pics, it appears that those twisted cores and bare cpc's are not the work of the OP, but as previously wired in the old light which he's taken down.

I was going to like Tel's helpful posts but I still haven't got a like button. It seems some people have though - what's going on?

Daz

Ah, nice one. Likey likey !

Provided there are no other issues this is a simple fix for any decent spark, so shouldn't cost much.

Reply to What is wrong with this light rose wiring!? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock