Discuss What job can I get with a City & Guilds Level 2 Qualification? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bridge-Burner

Hi everybody,
I have just completed the level 2 C&G at college. I'm not doing the Level 3 because I am out of work and need a job, plus I found the level 2 quite difficult and tedious so the written exams in Level 3 will be horrible. I now have basic knowledge and want to move forward with that. Are there any jobs that will like me having the Level 2 and willing to take me on? I'm not fussed about being fully qualified, being so would be nice but I'm not interested in it enough. I find all the numbers, equations and regulations extremely boring.
I don't think my tutors like me either, I am shy and don't talk much but am considering doing a 17th edition or 2391 course if I can get it for free as I'm on benefits and can't find a job at this point in time.

Cheers

You might be able to get a job as a mate (basically a trainee/labourer), although it's a competitive market with so many people out of work at the moment.

If I were you I'd have a go at the level 3 or you might struggle to do it at a later date if you can even do it at all, making what you've already done a waste of time.
I also struggled a bit in the second year, but in the third it all seemed to fall into place.

So are you saying the Levels 2 is pretty much useless in anything with an electrical aspect?
Howcome wouldn't I be able to do Level 3 at a later date? I heard something about the courses changing etc, so what would that entail if I decided to go for L3 at a later year? also, does a L3 make you qualified? Or do you have to do the 17th Edition and 2391 etc?
I am quite lucky I passed the L2 really, didn't do much revision and I don't know any of the sums now apart from Ohms law lol.
Is there a lot of maths in level 3? I find it very tedious and difficult to get my head around. Not sure if it's too late to get a Level 3 course now anyway.

The level 2 on it's own is only part of a qualification. If the courses change there's no guarantee you'll be able to finish an obsolete one.
There is a fair amount of maths in level 3, which expands on what you started learning in the level 2. Also inspection and testing, which is quite important.

If you put yourself in the position of an employer, which one would you take on - someone with the level 3 or someone without?

Yeah I know Level 3 is better than Level 2 obviously. I just thought that saying to an employer that you took the time to do a Level 2 qualification would help you gain some ground is all. I find it depressing that you think no employer would consider this and take anyone with a Level 2 qualification on.
The main question is, am I eligible to do any sort of electrical work, whether it be production/manufacturing electrical parts with this qualification? I'm not on about testing or any of that Level 3 stuff. Surely this owuld help me get in somewhere?

OK on the one hand you've taken the time to start a technical certificate, but on the other hand you haven't finished it.

To be a JIB recognised electrician you need to have finished the technical certificate (lvl 2 and 3) and done the NVQ3 and the 17th edition as well.

Like I said you might be able to get a job as a mate on site, but that's down to the employer - they might want you because you're cheap, or they might prefer someone who's got the drive and determination to do the level 3.

I would advise as previous post to stick at it and complete the Lvl3..... Couldn't you get a job for the days your not a college. Is the course still 1 - 1 and half days a week, that leaves 5 days.

"The main question is, am I eligible to do any sort of electrical work, whether it be production/manufacturing electrical parts with this qualification? I'm not on about testing or any of that Level 3 stuff. Surely this owuld help me get in somewhere?"

I very much doubt that a company would allow anyone near production/manufacturing with just a level 2. Stick with the above advice, do your level 3, 17th first and then think about the 2391 which is the hardest of the lot and if you dont like maths just do the 17th and forget about pushing yourself to becoming a fully qualified electrician. Harsh words but true.

I've done production and wiring before, wiring contactors, relays transformers, etc. But some had to pat test it. I appreciate the advice but sense a lot of bias since this is strictly an electricians forum.

Hi mate

please consider doing lv3 you can do it without a job as far as i am aware

Also i have been told the only people who are getting funding this year at college are people on jobseekers allowance and employment support allowance
and the courses have increased from about £455 to £1600

If you dont register for lv3 before 31.7.12 the last registration date for the C&G 2330 and NVQ 2356 then you wont be able to complete these qualification and then will have to then apply for the new C&G 2357 which is a combination of the 2330 technical cert and the NVQ2356 rolled into one and to get on that you would have to be empoyed in the industry and only 16-18yr olds are going to be funded for this as apprentices
you would have to register for the 2357 possibly 3 yrs at college and they would transfer what you have done over and match the units
to the 2357 then you would complete the ones you are missing and also a new section on renewables and i beleive the new AM2
The 2330 and the 2356 last registration date was supposed to be 31.3.11 but C&G have extended i have been told as its not completly ready plus industry prefer the 2330 as the standard but this will eventually be worked out between interested parties then the new Qualification will come into force the dates for this are on the C&G website and as of now are july next year

I know this as i enrolled for lV3 with students who had been fast tracked through lv2 to enrol before 31.3.11 the ones on benefits paid £120 for C&G exam fees I went to college on the 21st April to start the course and found out there was no course all the students returned to lv2??? even though they had done 3 week on the lv3
when C&G extendedthe end date the students have all gone back to finish lv2 of properly leaving me with no course until september
Then on Saturday i received a refund of the fees I had paid and when i contacted college monday to see what was happening found out this now meant i would have to enrol again in august and then Pay £1600
I was getting it funded as i am a carer for my mrs and getting certain benefits under the new system i wouldnt qualify just as people working on tax credits dont qualify now for funding
also i dont have LV2 wish i did but as this is my last chance I had to take whichever i could due to age and the newer qualification

I went to the college to discuss and now somehow i am starting june and again getting funding under old system which i was grateful to say the least

SO if i were you mate and you can get on the course with funding because of JSA then go for it mate your half way there its only 1 day a week or you will be like me as i gave my apprenticeship up 25 yr ago and regretted ever since trying to get back on it all these yrs

I tried to get help with training always told to old ,no funding or training so paid privatly for a 6 week course to the value of £4020 to get lesser quals than this mate think about it before making your mind up there are loads struggling to get work even fully qualified sparks

good luck mate hope you make the right choice whatever it is

hi Bridge-Burner, im not an an electrician, but what your getting here is good advice, i would suggest an 'attitude adjustment' because the 'don't find it interesting or find it tedious' will soon be picked up by prospective employers, especially important considering the current competition. however i dont think your level 2 is useless on its own, but for the sake of another year, besides, if you have difficulties there are plenty of people on this forum to help

Numbers, equasions and regulations boring! Perhaps you should forget it totally, that's what most of it is about. I think it is hideous that you want the 17th ed course for free with such an attitude.

I'm paying for everything myself during my training. I have a part time job that is it, you are probably better off on your benefits. I love every aspect of the job and I get out what has gone in. This includes my level 3.

You could be the same, if it wasn't for the attitude. I don't believe you should be allowed near ellectrics and I certainly wouldn't want you working with me.

Ok thanks for the advice people apart from jolly old Gary. You are in a minority if you seriously enjoy reading regulations. Good for you if that's what you're into. Not all of us have a fascination with maths, doesn't mean you can't find the concept of electicity interesting. You must have a well paid part-time job if you can afford it all and pay all the bills etc. And no I'm not a terminal dole dosser lol I was in full-time work before I did the course and have been doing some work and not claiming some of the time during my course but have bills to pay so am hoping to get funding to improve myself. Unfortunately lost my last job as they needed people monday to friday.
I guess I need to change my attitude and give myself a kick up the arse if I can get funding for it, if an employer can take me on then that would be perfect and give me the experience required to learn. As it is I have no experience in thet trade which makes it all the more difficult as I see other students using terms and chatting about things I've never heard of and I get looked down upon. Sod what they think I suppose.
Was just seeing if I could get anywhere with a Level 2 and got my answer. So I think I'll pop down the college and see what they can do in finding my a placement etc. Have already sent a CV to electrical companies in my area to see what they can help me with.
My main gripe is just getting my head round it, I find it all a bit baffling to be honest, my brain switches off at any sight of mathematics and my memory is like a sieve lol. I was being a bit of a brat few posts ago saying it's boring I guess, probably because I find it daunting and hard to understand.
Guess it's worth trying though.
Thanks again people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate

just try to find work part time ,temp, full time anything

But still do the course can you not do a evening course as i am if your college does 1 either way its only 1 day a week

Mate i dont have lv2 and have enrolled for lv3

I paid for a private course but as they were regarded fairly basic quals I enrolled for a 8 week evening course for the 2391-10 I just bought GN3 and a number of other books and sat there day after day for over 4 months and revised evrything over and over again before the course so when the course came I found i knew most of it out of the 10 of us who did the course and exam 4 passed i was one and the only one not working in the industry the rest where fully qualified but failed so what does that say mate

Its what you put in you get out some of these guys didnt do no revision at home and expected to learn all they needed to know in the 3 hrs a week for 8 evenings hardly surprising they failed
I have looked at the lv3 stuff mate and it looks daunting to me you probably know things I dont but it wont stop me trying and learning what i need to know to pass

Dont let others tell you what you can and cant do with regards to learning its all upto you everyone has to start somewhere

Hi brucelee, thanks for your kinds words. Yeah an evening would be good so i can work and maybe not have to sign on and pay for it myself. Not sure if my college does that though. I do feel bad about getting it for free last year when others have paid for it themselves but i was signing on most of the time and doing part time work to pay the bills so why not take it if the opportunity is there eh? it's hard getting work to work around the days you're at college you see.
So have you not done the 2330 then? Thought you had to have that to do the third year?

hi there,
depending on your age have you considerd the cost of doing it at a latter date?
also why would you want to take a year out to work and then go back and retrain?
the qualifications are changeing which will mean you wont be able to do level3 and be stuck with level2
do you really want to become an electrician really? if your not gunna put the work in and happy to just scrape by then you wont get anywhere.
good luck

and if you get a job the money will probably be poo so you may aswell dedicate that one day per week for hopefully bright future.. roll on l3 sept 9th 2011.. remember let the calculator do the number crunching even tho im quicker than a calculator;)

Hi everybody,
I've done some thinking and have decided my only viable option is to attempt to get a placement through an electrical company on day release. I have about 20 CV's printed off now so am going to send them off tomorrow. If I'm unsuccessful I am going to cut my losses and just find another job as I can't be doing with signing on and not being able to work full-time. It's a catch 22 as if I'm signing on then I can't work full-time and pay bills but will get help with funding the course but if I don't then I'll have to fork out almost £2000 which I don't have.
I know they were going to change the whole structure this year but am I right in thinking that you will still be able to do it next year?
Come to think of it, I don't know anyone in my class who has paid the full amount, another student told me that if it's your first course then you get that for free anyway, without having to be on benefits. You just have to pay for exam fees etc.
Anyway I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers people

Last edited by a moderator:
50 quid a year for my course plus few other fees, why dont you post up your cv removing all details you dont want seen aand maybe someone can help you improve it if needs improved, not saying it does...

Reply to What job can I get with a City & Guilds Level 2 Qualification? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net