Discuss What jobs need doing in your own house, then? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd lighten the mood a bit:

You know the one about the plumber with a dripping tap.....well, as Sparky's I reckon our own little lists of DIY are just as silly. Or is it just me?!

In my house at the moment there are: 4 x GU10's need replacing, a socket to finish plastering around, the lighting wiring in the loft to finish, a 3G lighting switch not fully screwed back as I need to replaster the wall, a PIR waiting to go in, an isolator to retrofit, etc etc....... hardly a good advert for mates and family!!

I did get up the ladder this afternoon and fit a new aerial though. Maybe I should write myself an invoice.

Hmm, where to start. The signal for digital TV feed to the kitchen has been on the blink for months. I have 2 laptops and a couple of tower PC's to sort out. One of my monitors is on the blink.

I have a light switch in the bedroom that has a slightly damaged piece of plasterboard on the top edge (barely noticeable, but I KNOW it's there). I have a non functional extractor fan in the en-suite. That's just the electrical stuff, don't get me started on finishing the flooring and finishing/decorating the en-suite.

keep looking at my consumer unit too many cables squeezed,ip rating non existant,tns earth connected to water pipe only,scared to take any readings god knows what i will find,not my doing though it was like it when we moved in

Flush mounted ceiling speaker for the bathroom to go in
Dimmer switching for the new fitted wardrobe lights
Panic button & extra keypad for the alarm system

This list could be sort of endless !

Moved in four and a half years ago , still got to run supply's to every thing outside .
Would not be so bad but there are six different sheds totalling somewhere probably around 5-6 thousand square foot with a milking machine heat lamps for the pigs work shop and freezers all running off a extension lead trailing out of one of the back conservatory top windows !
I have dug / moled all the ducts in and even pulled all the subs to where needed but just can not be arsed to finish it .:8:

had a leak so had to take down lounge light due to water junction box been hanging for around 3 months now (shame), desperate for outside lighing and power for xmas lights this year also but time ticking on.

Well, that's a fair excuse. Mrs Rockingit threatened to get the local aerial man in (also a sparky) as I hadn't looked at the problem; I took the hint and got up my ladder.

2nd fix shower, fan and lights in new shower room. install UFH mat. fit PIR to soffit lighting. replace 8 way, front end RCD, CU with dual RCD unit. split 1 RFC into 2 radials as there's more spurs than blazing saddles. load of plumbing, tiling, wood butchery. then, after lunch, i'll................

I've got a list of jobs as long as my arm to do at home, here's a few from near the top of the list;
  • Borehole control panel corroded beyond repair....needs replacement
  • Irrigation pump has leaking mechanical seal....needs removing stripping and recon
  • Swimming pool pump very old and doesn't hold prime any more.....needs replacing
  • Electric gate motor gearbox broken, unrepairable needs complete new motor
  • Air conditioner in my home office has a gas leak somewhere obscure
  • Intermittant RCD trip when heavy rain...possibly borehole panel leaking but need to localise
  • Back-up generator AMF panel needs cabling and connecting and earth spike installing
  • Waste disposal in kitchen drips inside cupboard under sink
Christ I could go on all day.

I need outside lights as my bin shed is in darkness when I take the bins out, and I could do with some outside sockets. I've got the gear, but I don't wana do it as it's not my house, I only rent it.
I also need to paint 2 Walls where damp has struck.

In the process of building a man cave heaven. Only got as far as the concrete base. I know as soon as it’s finished the wifey will dump all her stuff in it, so I can’t be arsed to do anymore…lol.

Reply to What jobs need doing in your own house, then? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net