Discuss What made you make the jump to self employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Having read all of your guys posts, it's clear that you are all grafters and really want to do well for yourselves. I'm curious to know if your own personal website that showcases your work would be a good idea?
I know a large majority of work comes from recommendations but with more and more customers looking online for plumbers I was thinking for the future it would be really useful. Let me know your thoughts

Sach
In my case Sachin I never had much of a choice, work was plentiful, lots of Sub Contract electricians about, and to top it all I had just got Married, buying my first House and after 3 years my Wife was expecting, so the thought of extra pressure of being SE wasn't very appealing, I took the public sector way and never looked back really, still did the odd job on the QT but, not being in a scheme and all the rules and Regs that go along with that way was not for me, maybe not very helpful to you, but that is /was my short story.

In my case Sachin I never had much of a choice, work was plentiful, lots of Sub Contract electricians about, and to top it all I had just got Married, buying my first House and after 3 years my Wife was expecting, so the thought of extra pressure of being SE wasn't very appealing, I took the public sector way and never looked back really, still did the odd job on the QT but, not being in a scheme and all the rules and Regs that go along with that way was not for me, maybe not very helpful to you, but that is /was my short story.

No no makes sense! It's good to know what others think about the whole idea of it, so thank you for your story pal!

@Sachin109

Please be aware of the forum rules for advertising and self promotion or other activities where you have a vested interest in promoting, in the interests of our forum sponsors this is not permitted and further
attempts to do so will see you account terminated.
If becoming a forum sponsor interests you then PM a member of staff and we will put you in touch with the owner.

I have deleted a post of your which breached our rules, please reflect on what I have said in future postings please.

I took voluntary redundancy in 1982 and quit my job with the city council because I was bored out of skull traipsing round council estates in the east end of Glasgow all day doing mundane, mind-numbing, soul-destroying jobs such as changing broken lampholders, sockets and switches and replacing elements in storage heaters. I would surely have stagnated as an electrician had I not quit my job when I did.

So with several thousands of ratepayers cash stashed in the bank, I headed south to Blackpool in search of ̶w̶i̶l̶d̶ ̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶la̶r̶g̶e̶-̶b̶r̶e̶a̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶y̶m̶p̶h̶o̶m̶a̶n̶i̶a̶c̶ ̶r̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶c̶h̶i̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶u̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶e̶x̶ work. Rather than look for a proper full-time job I began placing cards in shop windows and putting leaflets through doors and was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was able to generate 2-3 days of work each week doing small domestic jobs. I then began placing advertisments in the local evening newspaper which generated even more work. Within a year I was running a thriving small electrical contracting business employing myself and an electrician's mate. We were doing house rewires more than anything else. I did my first rewire aged 23 and felt an immense feeling of achievement and job satisfaction. I relished the freedom that I had to do things my own way. I stumbled into self-employment rather than having made any prior plans to this end.

Thirty-six years later, I'm still self-employed having returned to my native city and started a new business up here. If I could live my life over again, would I still make the same choice? You bet!!!

The flexibility of it as I have been on the books with companies and often felt I was in a 'rut'......
Going to the same places.... Doing the same jobs and working with the same ppl (some you might not get on with)!
As a cis contractor I'm able to apply for jobs whenever I want and often you get overtime or 10 hr days as they want men for a big push or at the end of a job.
The downside is it's sometimes hard making sure you have that next job lined up after current contract ends but touch wood I've worked for some decent gaffers who've gave me a heads up and had several weeks to contact agencies for graft.

for me I just don’t like being told what to do lol! I also got fed up waking up at 5am to drive to London, be stuck in traffic 5 hours a day, can’t park, get tickets, clamped, tools stolen and work on a shitty cold building site for peanuts Or having to work in a finished building with office staff but still have to wear hard hat goggles etc, and get home at 7:30pm if I’m lucky

I now never work further than about 10 miles from home and my alarm goes off at 7am, I’m back indoors by no later than 3-4 pm

And I would say that eventually your job security once fully established as self employed is much greater than that of somebody employed by a company.(I mean proper self employed not working for one or two companies through Cis)

if they get laid off, company goes bust, fall out with their boss, their unemployed.

I work for hundreds of different clients and businesses and if one or two goes bust or we fall out or they don’t pay, I have plenty of others still bringing work and money in

The risk is spread a lot thinner and the profits are better, you work for who you want and if you turn up on time, do a good job and generally get on with people then you should always have plenty of work!

as long as you have your health and can physically work, so look after yourself!

Last edited:
As others have said, I like being in control of my life, or rather having more control than when you are employed. You work harder when you are self employed, but absolutely every single thing you do is for your own business, it directly benefits you. I take far more pride in my work now and have so much more satisfaction in my work and that is after 7 or 8 years of being self employed, so it's not just a fleeting feeling.

Of course it may not suit everyone, but the only way you'll find out is to give it a go for a few years.

I was forced in to self employment -
I was working for a contractor PAYE and he turned around one day and told all of us he was paying too much tax and NI and we were all going self employed

After going SE with him I quickly realised that I would make more on my own.
I was wiring heating systems for him and getting £60 per install (in 2003), making about £600 per week before tax

I put an ad in the local paper (cost £70) and realised that there was work out there and went (within 3 weeks) from doing 10 jobs a week for him to nil.

He had the cheek to ask me to come back 2 a month later and I told him thanks but no thanks.

I now have my son (who is 21) and about to finish his apprenticeship and like working for myself

I don't make big bucks but the work suits my family work life

Best advice I can give is dedicate at least one day per month for marketing, invoicing and billing, sometimes you can be too busy working to find work and another day per month to play Golf, my first project after going self employed came to me on the golf course.

For me, it was finding something I’d enjoy doing after I left the Army. I’d always planned on going on the Super Yachts but the Mrs didn’t want me going away for long periods of time, so I had to have a rethink.

I’d worked on large 3P marine installations for the majority of my career, so making the switch over to an electrician working shore side seemed a logical thing to do.

I also didn’t fancy having to answer to anyone after I left the mob, and My dad had always been self employed (wood butcher), so the freedom it brings appealed to me.

I did it 4 weeks ago, I know how you feel I have 2 young kids (2 & 4).
My story is that I worked for someone for 20 years. The chap had other income and seemed to lose interest in the electrical buisness, it got so frustrating in the end because customers were contacting me asking me to chase up the boss. He stopped quoting and invoicing was slow. When regular customers started moving on to other contractors I realised I had to go, or I'd get binned eventually anyway.

I'm doing OK so far, it's only my 4th week and more and more people from my past have realised im now setup on my own. Im pricing multiple jobs for 4 different builders, ive got a couple of industrial units that I provide maintenance for and so far not had a day off.

My wife set up a Facebook page but it's proving to be a pain in the bum so far, I'm looking a silly jobs, and it seems most of these people don't want to spend the money, they seem to get everyone round and go for the cheapest quote, I'm not really into that, the 6 week wonders are welcome to these.

Fortunately I know alot of buisness owners and people in trades in my area, a I think that has helped me a bit but I have had to try and take everything that comes my way.

I'm finding it hard with my time at the moment, I find I'm spending a lot of time looking at jobs, it feels weird because I feel that I've not made any money some days, I think it's just because it's new to me. Im doing all my quotes in my evenings so don't get a great deal of time off.
I'm sure it will all settle down.
I set up on my own in 1988 I had 2 young daughters and a mortgage. I also had workers hard for gaffers that couldn't organise a drink in a brewery.
Worked on panel building and installation on car plants, steel works, automation processing.
Gained degree in electrical engineering in 1992. I then added control panel design to my abilities.
I carried out turnkey projects on many different process systems. Design, build installation and commissioning all over the world.
Moved into them park work in 2010.
Its a great life, but you have to be good at running a business as well as being good at the trade, get a good accountant too!!

Isn't it amazing how many boss's are incompetent according to the people working for them, so incompetent they run a business, are awarded contracts and employ others to do the work. ?

Isn't it amazing how many boss's are incompetent according to the people working for them, so incompetent they run a business, are awarded contracts and employ others to do it. ?

They may well be good at running a business but rubbish at managing their employees.

Its been my experience that the many do, most boss's end up being marriage councillors, financial advisors and have to micro manage some of their employee's whilst still trying to organise a drink in a brewery and run the business.

Its been my experience that the many do, most boss's end up being marriage councillors, financial advisors and have to micro manage some of their employee's whilst still trying to organise a drink in a brewery and run the business.
My old boss was very good at running a buisness, he ran a successful business for year's. He just lost interest and towards the end.

Reply to What made you make the jump to self employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net