Discuss What next with my qualifications ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Turner415

I have recently finished college part time studying city and guilds level 2 and 3 diploma (2365) in electrical installation but I'm not completely sure what my next options are or what is available to me now ?

I know I can go on to become fully qualified but I need a company to employ me to complete that so if anyone can help with what options are available or simply what job titles to search for that will possibly employ me would be brilliant :)

Electricians mate or Electrical improver. With a job you will be able to compete the NVQ level 3 which includes the AM2. You should look at doing the C&G 2391 at some point as well.
I have been trying to look for them job titles but not much atm is there a time of year that demand becomes higher for staff

I have been trying to look for them job titles but not much atm is there a time of year that demand becomes higher for staff
Not really mate it just depend when they are awarded contracts etc. You will struggle getting a mates job with no experience so might be worth trying to jump on an agency to get a little experience...you might have to bend the truth a little to get a start but many do it this way.

Not really mate it just depend when they are awarded contracts etc. You will struggle getting a mates job with no experience so might be worth trying to jump on an agency to get a little experience...you might have to bend the truth a little to get a start but many do it this way.
Okay yeah I get you I'll keep looking then hope something pops up

Turner415: A while back i was in the same boat as you.. electricians mate or improver.. honestly I got no response as an electricians mate, but when I managed to get any work it was as an improver.. as its experience I was after I found that I was able to get a lot of experience as an improver working on larger sites where there were many sparkys working.
My cousin went down the route of electricians mate and he told me he spent the first year just lugging around tools and cleaning the van out at the end of the day, but now hes got his own van and his own mate helping him out, so both routes are great it just depends what you're after.

Turner415: A while back i was in the same boat as you.. electricians mate or improver.. honestly I got no response as an electricians mate, but when I managed to get any work it was as an improver.. as its experience I was after I found that I was able to get a lot of experience as an improver working on larger sites where there were many sparkys working.
My cousin went down the route of electricians mate and he told me he spent the first year just lugging around tools and cleaning the van out at the end of the day, but now hes got his own van and his own mate helping him out, so both routes are great it just depends what you're after.
Yeah it looks like I'm best trying get little contract jobs and try boost my experience and hope that will be enough for a company to work full time

Reply to What next with my qualifications ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net