Discuss what pat tester do use / recomend in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi I've been given a maintenance contract for several premises.
I have passed the city and guilds pat testing course, mainly for insurance purposes and to get this type of contract.

as part of the contract they will purchase a pat tester to cover their premises. I haven't bought one as you will agree their is no money in pat testing alone.

its for flats, pubs and restaurants so a variety of premises

any suggestions greatly accepted I was looking at the seaward 250 as its their money and not mine lol

I haven't bought one as you will agree their is no money in pat testing alone.
You can make half-decent money PAT testing as long as you aren't competing with the firms doing it for 30p an asset or whatever ridiculous rate they claim. However a couple of days at a time for me would be more than enough.

I have to do a bit as part of my maintenance of holiday cottages. Recently I have acquired a Seaward Supernova Plus and I must say that it overcomes one of the problems that really wind me up about appliance testing. Because it is mains operated it gives out a decent current for the earth bond test so you are not spending ages trying to make a decent contact that the small current (battery devices) require. I am just about to buy their earth bond extension lead as the tester automatically nulls this due to the four wire test method.
A downloading and uploading tester will save you hours if combined with something like the SimplyPats software. Expensive but there are discount codes available (25%).

Myth: All office equipment must be tested by a qualified electrician every year
July 2007
what pat tester do use / recomend {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The reality
No. The law requires employers to assess risks and take appropriate action.

HSE's approach to maintaining portable appliances in its own offices
In 2011, the HSE reviewed its approach to portable appliance maintenance in its own offices. Thinking about the type of equipment in use, and how it was used, the HSE looked back at the results from its annual testing of portable appliances across its estate over the last five years. Using the results of the previous tests, the HSE decided that further portable appliance tests are not needed within the foreseeable future or at all for certain types of portable equipment. Also, they decided to continue to monitor any faults reported as a result of user checks and visual inspections and review its maintenance system if evidence suggests that it needs revising. Electrical equipment will continue to be maintained by a series of user checks and visual inspections by staff that have had some training.

Key Points:

• Annual portable appliance testing is not always necessary in low risk environments
  • You do not need to be an electrician to carry out visual inspections
  • Low cost user checks and visual inspections are a good method of Maintaining portable electric equipment

Myth: All office equipment must be tested by a qualified electrician every year
July 2007
what pat tester do use / recomend {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The reality
No. The law requires employers to assess risks and take appropriate action.

HSE's approach to maintaining portable appliances in its own offices
In 2011, the HSE reviewed its approach to portable appliance maintenance in its own offices. Thinking about the type of equipment in use, and how it was used, the HSE looked back at the results from its annual testing of portable appliances across its estate over the last five years. Using the results of the previous tests, the HSE decided that further portable appliance tests are not needed within the foreseeable future or at all for certain types of portable equipment. Also, they decided to continue to monitor any faults reported as a result of user checks and visual inspections and review its maintenance system if evidence suggests that it needs revising. Electrical equipment will continue to be maintained by a series of user checks and visual inspections by staff that have had some training.

Key Points:

• Annual portable appliance testing is not always necessary in low risk environments
  • You do not need to be an electrician to carry out visual inspections
  • Low cost user checks and visual inspections are a good method of Maintaining portable electric equipment

part of this is getting staff to report any damage or faults and log it.
this is part of what I'm going to do for the premises I have to cover. it saves the old " oh that hoover cable has always been like that , it worked fine till it blew up" :anguished:

Reply to what pat tester do use / recomend in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock