Discuss What Qualifications do I need to issues the 3 main electrical certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post on this site and is one I have been wondering for a while (sorry if this have been posted before)

Do I need the inspection and testing qualification to carry out and then fill in and complete the 3 main tests / Certs : Minor works, electrical installation cert and EICR.

A brief overview is I have a 4 year Industrial electrical apprenticeship which I gained the following:

HND - Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Time served electrical apprenticeship.

NVQ BTEC Certification: Level 3 - Electrical / Electronic Engineering.

Electricity at work act 1989.

EMTA - Installation of wiring support systems.

NVQ - Performing engineering operations.

EMTA - Wiring and testing of electrical circuits.

18th edition wiring regulations.

After my apprenticeship I have another 10 years installation work in both industrial and domestic dwellings and often do
Full tests within my company on 3phase and single phase systems so fully understand each test and measurements expected.

I’m doing a lot of domestic installations atm with an electrician but have been offered a lot of independent work which I’m more than capable of competing safety and to regulations.

In short do I need the inspection and testing qualification ( 2391 or equivalent). Or have what I gained enough to show Competence.

You don't actually need any formal qualifications to issue those certificates, unless the recipient requires them! (And you seem perfectly capable of complying with the legal requirement of competence to not cause danger to anyone including yourself whilst performing the necessary testing.)

Yep as M-Ty says, no qualifications required at all, at least none required by the Wiring Regulations.
The Building Regulations (Part P) does make some reference to being qualified in the Approved Document.

I will get around to taking the courses and gaining that qualifications just as a matter of point but as you know when starting up costs are high and the test equipment alone sets you back several hundred let alone registration fee,s insurance tools etc. It’s nice to know tho that I can install and test my work under the fact that I’m competent. I thought this might be the case as my 14 years experience far outways a 5 day course that can be taken by anyone.

If your installing new circuits, working in special locations, or changing ccus then obviously these need registering with the labc...... They may or may not be interested in accepting your own forms i know around here mid suffolk will actually do this, but suffolk coastal arent interested and it has to be notified via a cps scheme.....
Now the cps schemes have their requirements to do this and they will want you to hold those testing quals....

You have highlighted in your opening posts, the qualifications you have to be an electrician, more than most. Some might say that someone with far less could also be a competent electrician; you felt required to quote them to demonstrate you ability to test & inspect, and I'm not doubting that ability.

However, if you are committed to carrying out your own work as a sole trader, I would consider doing one of the training courses for testing & inspecting, sooner rather than later. This would consolidate and refresh your skills in this area, and demonstrate your commitment to your potential customers.
If you ask, who would question your competency until then, that would be you. My opinion.

Again is this a grey area inregards to building regs as I didn’t think you needed to be registered with any authority such as NAPIT to carry our or test electrical work. Also long as you notify the building authority and they send someone out (additional charge) then aslong they are happy your competent and installing and testing to the part-p requirements then they are happy

Again is this a grey area inregards to building regs as I didn’t think you needed to be registered with any authority such as NAPIT to carry our or test electrical work. Also long as you notify the building authority and they send someone out (additional charge) then aslong they are happy your competent and installing and testing to the part-p requirements then they are happy

Thats hardly the way to carry out a viable business in a domestic market.

It's simply a matter of cost. My LABCs are looking for around £170+VAT (last time I looked which was about 2 years ago) for each notification, plus you have to submit in advance of doing the work.

You don't have to do too many notifiable works for being a scheme member to become worthwhile.

Hi Scott, it's not really a grey area.

If you are adding a new circuit (as you are for the garage in your other thread), installing a consumer unit (again, as you are in your other thread), new build or rewiring then the work needs notifying to the building authorities. You can do this yourself if you are a member of a scheme, i.e Stroma, Napit, Elecsa, NICEIC etc. Or, as you have said, you don't have to belong to a scheme and you get the building authorities to send someone out at a cost of around £180. I have a sneaky suspicion that you probably haven't done this with your new garage CU, just a hunch chap, don't take offence and apologies if you have ;). This isn't a viable solution for smaller notifiable jobs as you have to charge relatively alot extra, plus it's really not a good way to get started in your new career by yourself.

Get yourself on a scheme chap, it's a bit daunting the first time but it does feel good to be able to notify your own work.

However, I'm a bit bored.....
So I might start quizzing you to see if you really are in a scheme:smilingimp:

Which scheme are you registered with? There are joining requirements applying to every cps scheme which include the initial verification cert so they shpuld have told you you needed this when you joined.... There is normally a period of grace though which i think with napit is 1yr

Reply to What Qualifications do I need to issues the 3 main electrical certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net