Discuss What reference method in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Cables clipped to a brick wall with plasterboard dot n dabbed over them what reference method ?
And any proof as ref c says clipped direct but nic inspector says that means just clipped to a wall the rest of the methods says insulation ?

102 I'd go with.

See table 4A2 appendix 4 bs 7671 numbers 57 and 58.
If there is no thermal insulation in the walls , then it's not reference method 102 or 103.
Reference methods 100-103 are for cables in or under insulation in ceilings or walls only.

Last edited:
102 sounds closest I suppose, maybe we've just given them an excuse for 18th Ed ammendment 1[/QUOTE
See table 4A2 appendix 4 bs 7671 numbers 57 and 58.
If there is no thermal insulation in the walls , then it's not reference method 102 or 103.
Reference methods 100-103 are for cables in or under insulation in ceilings or walls only.
ye which is why it's confusing as I know company's doing same job some put a some put b some put c and I wanted to know an the nic won't say ---- all

I'm fairly new to the game so would like some insight into how to handle a scenario like this. Do we follow BS7671 religiously (that there is no insulation like Ian pointed out), or do we account for the fact that drywall adhesive ( I'm guessing now), does not have the same insulation qualities as free-flowing air? Your comments would be appreciated as I have often erred on the side of caution and wondered whether I made the right choice.

I'm fairly new to the game so would like some insight into how to handle a scenario like this. Do we follow BS7671 religiously (that there is no insulation like Ian pointed out), or do we account for the fact that drywall adhesive ( I'm guessing now), does not have the same insulation qualities as free-flowing air? Your comments would be appreciated as I have often erred on the side of caution and wondered whether I made the right choice.
Heat will dissipate through the masonry clipped direct. the reference methods are all about how the heat generated from a cable can escape to determine the cables ccc.
Take reference method A cables in conduit in a thermal insulated wall, the heat needs to dissipate through the conduit and through the insulation which is why the ccc of the cable is lower.

Also think of cables chased in a wall covered with pvc capping and then plastered over.
It's reference method c as heat can escape through the masonry wall as one side isn't capped over.
Niceic like to sit on the fence in my experience

Also think of cables chased in a wall covered with pvc capping and then plastered over.
It's reference method c as heat can escape through the masonry wall as one side isn't capped over.
Niceic like to sit on the fence in my experience
In some aspects they make up their own version of the regs (my bold). In my opinion, if all else fails use common sense.

I vote C too.
IMHO the only way it may be less than C is if the cable was free floating in a cavity, but OP starts with "clipped to brick".

Reply to What reference method in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net