Discuss What S.I. under risk assessement for omission of RCD in regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

Ok so as I am moving VERY soon I have packed and sealed all my electrical books away. I don't have access to regs consequently. I am racking my brains regards risk assessment for omission of RCD on sockets. If you read the fine print it references a statutory instrument regards the standard this risk assessment must be made to. In my memory it is S.I. 19 HSA available at the HSE site. Can anyone have a look under 433(I think) and tell me what that S.I. is? I need to advise a customer and better get it right.

It is Reg 411.

17th references ‘SI 1999 No 3242’

18th has removed this reference and instead says risk assessment should involve electrically skilled person.

I am interested Vorts why the omission, new install or something with an existing circuit.

I've recently had a customer and a designer refuse to give me a copy of their risk assessment for omission of RCDs, they expected me to put my name to it.

My comment of 'jog on' in slightly stronger language and my directors pulling the project had the desired impact.

I am interested Vorts why the omission, new install or something with an existing circuit.
I am/have put a cable in for a comms room on the third floor of a commercial building in a locked cupboard accessible by only competent persons (hrmm. so say!) Anyway I have dropped out of the work because of moving so it's a handover and just advising client I have arranged an RCBO from the LL supply and there is a spare MCB as well. Just a courtesy really for the next guy who finishes it. And thought to advise the client regards RA in leaving out an RCD in this instance. All communications and internet will go through this comms room so it is mission critical and moot as to additional protection. Personally I would put it on an MCB. What say you?

I am/have put a cable in for a comms room on the third floor of a commercial building in a locked cupboard accessible by only competent persons (hrmm. so say!) Anyway I have dropped out of the work because of moving so it's a handover and just advising client I have arranged an RCBO from the LL supply and there is a spare MCB as well. Just a courtesy really for the next guy who finishes it. And thought to advise the client regards RA in leaving out an RCD in this instance. All communications and internet will go through this comms room so it is mission critical and moot as to additional protection. Personally I would put it on an MCB. What say you?
It is not likely to be used for general use whilst it is a comms room so I would omit.

And it certainly wont be used for equipment outside on the second (correction!) floor. Also it will be a commando socket so even less likely to be used by the cleaner who broke into the comms cupboard.

16a MCB on radial 4mm T&E all calculated for vd etc. Equipment assessed going on the circuit and manufacturers info taken into account.

Honesty always the best policy, but rather than be rude about your post as some might be I thought more diplomatic to pass over it.
Quite right in hindsight Mate, thanks for the explanation.

I think there was some genuine misreading of the opening post so some later posts have been deleted. I think this has been resolved so can we refrain from unnecessary posts between each other.

Reply to What S.I. under risk assessement for omission of RCD in regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock