Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss What S.I. under risk assessement for omission of RCD in regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Ok so as I am moving VERY soon I have packed and sealed all my electrical books away. I don't have access to regs consequently. I am racking my brains regards risk assessment for omission of RCD on sockets. If you read the fine print it references a statutory instrument regards the standard this risk assessment must be made to. In my memory it is S.I. 19 HSA available at the HSE site. Can anyone have a look under 433(I think) and tell me what that S.I. is? I need to advise a customer and better get it right.

2. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - in the 17th Reg 411.3.3 refers. It's Note 3 takes us to App2 item 10 for risk assessment. Not sure if this is it so hit me again if needed.

IMG_1204.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. essex

essex Trusted Advisor

It is Reg 411.

17th references ‘SI 1999 No 3242’

18th has removed this reference and instead says risk assessment should involve electrically skilled person.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Statutory Instruments, followed by a number ie SI 341

5. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Yeh at 10 on the lower picture @Wilko@Wilko thanks for that and @essex@essex for the info. That is what I was referring to. Thanks again. Can now finish my email to client!

6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Wonder why I bother when I don't get a thanks,:(:joycat::tearsofjoy::sob:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Maybe it’s because you’ve put the wrong SI number in your post?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    I added the number as an example Dave, not as a reference, now stop being picky, anyway the post was meant in jest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I am interested Vorts why the omission, new install or something with an existing circuit.

10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    To be honest, I have just reread the question, my bad I thought that the OP wondered what SI meant, realise he did know, and was just after the number, no excuses, sorry for any confusion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

I've recently had a customer and a designer refuse to give me a copy of their risk assessment for omission of RCDs, they expected me to put my name to it.

My comment of 'jog on' in slightly stronger language and my directors pulling the project had the desired impact.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I am/have put a cable in for a comms room on the third floor of a commercial building in a locked cupboard accessible by only competent persons (hrmm. so say!) Anyway I have dropped out of the work because of moving so it's a handover and just advising client I have arranged an RCBO from the LL supply and there is a spare MCB as well. Just a courtesy really for the next guy who finishes it. And thought to advise the client regards RA in leaving out an RCD in this instance. All communications and internet will go through this comms room so it is mission critical and moot as to additional protection. Personally I would put it on an MCB. What say you?

13. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Honesty always the best policy, but rather than be rude about your post as some might be I thought more diplomatic to pass over it.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

It is not likely to be used for general use whilst it is a comms room so I would omit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    And it certainly wont be used for equipment outside on the second (correction!) floor. Also it will be a commando socket so even less likely to be used by the cleaner who broke into the comms cupboard.

• Like Like x 1