Discuss What standard are homeserve sparks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I Went to a job today and the owner's RCD was tripping when the cooker is on, so he called homeserve who sent a so called spark out who told the owner (and put it in writing) that the owner needs a '10mm' cable from the cooker switch to the cooker). The so called spark told the homeowner that replacing the said 4mm cable with 10mm will stop the RCD tripping . He also left a blanking plate off the consumer unit when he put it back. The cooker circuit itself also has 4mm t/e but the homeserve guy was fine with this being left as it was.

I had a similar problem with a customer last year when a homeserve person gave a homeowner completely incorrect/misleading information as to what was causing his ring circuit to trip.

I assumed that homeserve would send out an actual spark to an electrical fault, but that cleary isn't the case.

If the Home Serve Electrician, is anything like the Home Serve Plumber My Sister in Law had around, I wouldn't take too much notice of his credentials. Waste of space if you ask me, Home Serve Yippy Kiyay Trigger. Get the picture?

How would replacing a good cable (assuming it wasn't damaged) with a slightly bigger one stop an RCD tripping?
obvious. the bigger cpc will allow the leakage to get away quicker and be gone before the RCD time threshold is reached. :D:D:D

problem is , they are subbies, like with british gas sparks. some are good, some are bad.

I remember speaking to a spark in the wholesalers who was subbing for Homeserve. Pay wasn't great and he had to wait 90 days (and then some) for the money.

Last edited:
I was called back to a property i did 5 years ago by the owner, she was paying a monthly fee to homeserve for cover etc.
Tun dish was dripping/passing water on the cylinder..... they called homeserve for a plumber..... a sparkie turned up and said immersion was wired wrong. turned of immersion supply and left.... water still going through tun dish....after her ranting at me down the phone i went to property and explained to her the pressure relief valve was faulty hence water discharging via tun dish......... After she complained to homeserve and i emailed them to and she actually got all her money back she had paid for the so called homeserve cover over the last 2 years...Result but they must employ total idiots

Reply to What standard are homeserve sparks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net