Discuss What to look for in an apprentice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've never had an apprentice, but I've had 'boys' (no, no, no!) along with me on jobs, and I always found that thanking them for doing a good job and encouraging them works wonders.

...If ever there was a post,crying out for a Wurther's Original gag.....;)

Would have to say someone older rather than 16 year olds. Not saying you can't get a good young'un, but someone say 18+ would be maybe more committed to working.

Also, they must be less than 5'8", 28"waist and weigh about 50kg. Loft work is a bitch and I've eaten too many biscuits to fit in them now.
50Kellogs????? what's that in English?

Had a few apprentices over the years and all left to branch out once they got the experience they felt they needed (some where good and sorry to see them go)
I see that most young ones now are glued to their phones and expect so much now ie time off, higher wages, can you pick me up and drop me home etc etc
So if i was to take one on now it would be phone not used whilst working.
Being a tea boy or a sweeper upper is not the what i wanted in training an apprentice, The ones wanting to learn and thinking what i needed before being asked where the better ones.
The men that taught me made my life hard and gave me grief but i learnt a lot........

Hi,

We are looking for an apprentice, they will have started in September, so will have a little knowledge.
Obviously someone keen and willing.
But what else would you look for?
It’s in a factory.
Thanks.

I’m currently looking for work as an Apprentice, where about are you located Chris?

Iam an apprentice I do everything for my journeymin (but whipe his a@@rs)
When going to jobs try to get in your head what materials you is needed for the job I set everything up ladders etc so he can just do his job after job is done tools are back in the bag ladders are away on the van final check to see if tools are left or anything I haven’t picked up I get him coffee every day which don’t think he relies is a pretty penny at the end of the week he shouts at me all the time when u muck up Iam a nervous wreck half the time going to work in case I get it from him it’s tuff but if you have a decent journeymin your lucky

Not electrics, but I remember my grandfather telling me about his time as an apprentice engineer. He was just left school at 14 and reported to the maintenance department of the factory at 6am sharp. The foreman took him down to the power room, where there was a huge steam engine that supplied power to all the machines through overhead shafts.

The engine as already running (Starting it up was a lesson for another day) and there was a huge flywheel turning and partly let into a pit in the floor. His job was to sit on the edge of the pit and squirt oil onto the crank as it went past.

Elf n' Safety - what's that?

Iam an apprentice I do everything for my journeymin (but whipe his a@@rs)
When going to jobs try to get in your head what materials you is needed for the job I set everything up ladders etc so he can just do his job after job is done tools are back in the bag ladders are away on the van final check to see if tools are left or anything I haven’t picked up I get him coffee every day which don’t think he relies is a pretty penny at the end of the week he shouts at me all the time when u muck up Iam a nervous wreck half the time going to work in case I get it from him it’s tuff but if you have a decent journeymin your lucky
Great post. It’s what I also look for. That and the ability to walk a little faster!

Reply to What to look for in an apprentice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net