Discuss what to suggest when no circuits have rcd protection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rwood1981

I carried out an eicr and no circuits have RCD protection. There are 3 dbs all have federal elec type 3 mcbs in. Would you recommend changing each db and rcd only the sockets or rcbo everything as its all T&E less than 50mm. One db is lighting and power the other is convector heaters and hand dryers and the other is for storage heaters. All 3 phase.

code each accordingly. advise client that any C1 or C2 defects are dangerous or potentially dangerous and must be rectified to obtain a satisfactory report. then it's up to him to request a quote from you to do the remedials.

Well if the outcome is the client wants additional rcd protection put in place then they will need replacing but from experience clients often don't want to spend the money unless they need replacing for other reasons. I would be concentrating on other items you have found, hopefully and not going down the route of telling people their boards need replacing. Were the breakers all Type 3, did they have orange switch toggles.

Well if the outcome is the client wants additional rcd protection put in place then they will need replacing but from experience clients often don't want to spend the money unless they need replacing for other reasons. I would be concentrating on other items you have found, hopefully and not going down the route of telling people their boards need replacing. Were the breakers all Type 3, did they have orange switch toggles.
yes they all had orange switches on and the zs readings were close to the 80% value.
No previous reports have been done and the installation is 1980s

In fairness I don't see any relevance to what recommendations are to be made now.

Well if rcd wasnt required when it was installed and all zs readings are within 80% of bs7671 and no socket are likely to supply outdoor equipment what are you suggesting is wrong with the installation for continued use??

Well if rcd wasnt required when it was installed and all zs readings are within 80% of bs7671 and no socket are likely to supply outdoor equipment what are you suggesting is wrong with the installation for continued use??
My point is that whether it was or wasn't required when it was installed has no bearing on how safe it is today. Therefore it isn't actually relevant to the observations you will be making about it.

I am interested to know what else is wrong or if this is another EICR where it has no content bar the rcd issue.

I am interested to know what else is wrong or if this is another EICR where it has no content bar the rcd issue.
no earth continuity on 3 ccts
grommets missing from some spurs supplying heaters
some control equiptment not securely fixed
exposed copper in a spur unit
Inner cores of flex showing on entry into spurs
no ring con on neutral of a ring main

To name a few

The only grey area I'm not familiar with hence asking the question, is weather everything should now be covered by rcd as its twin and earth capped in the wall or just the ground floor sockets.

My point is that whether it was or wasn't required when it was installed has no bearing on how safe it is today. Therefore it isn't actually relevant to the observations you will be making about it.
I have started a conversation with you with a solar issue if you can help

I have started a conversation with you with a solar issue if you can help

no earth continuity on 3 ccts
grommets missing from some spurs supplying heaters
some control equiptment not securely fixed
exposed copper in a spur unit
Inner cores of flex showing on entry into spurs
no ring con on neutral of a ring main

To name a few

The only grey area I'm not familiar with hence asking the question, is weather everything should now be covered by rcd as its twin and earth capped in the wall or just the ground floor sockets.
It states in BS7671 it should be given a minimum Code3 entry. This is minimum and other factors may warrant an alternative Code.

Reply to what to suggest when no circuits have rcd protection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net