Discuss What type of mains lead would i need? Help would be appreciated. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

beatles2011

Hello, i have this old bit of audio equipment from the early 50's and it needs a detachable mains lead to power it which i don't have. Below i have added a picture of it. Could someone tell me the name of the type of connector / lead i need and possibly where i could get one. Many Thanks!

What type of mains lead would i need? Help would be appreciated. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
What type of mains lead would i need? Help would be appreciated. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

that connector looks like the type that connected to the old coffee pots we had in the late 60's
if you have the dimensions, (pin diameter, distance center of pin to center of pin and size of connector you can probably find it @jameco.com
this was most likely a bakealite connector

i'd perhaps be inclined to fit an IEC socket and provide an earth for the metalwork.

Would that be easy to do myself (no electrical qualifications) or where do i got to get it done? I do have an IEC (3 pin) set but don't know how easy it would be to do especially earthing the casing.

i should be able to drill a hole on top on the metal plate and feed that iec socket through as you said with the compression gland.

please use a gland when taking the cable out of the enclosure. if enclosure is metal and the hole is diy drilled it will be sharp and may nick the wire insulation, not good.

make sure the cable is securely fixed inside the enclosure, when someone pulls on it it stays where it supposed to be (otherwise you will be left with live wires hanging around, no good!)

if enclosure is metal (and looks like it is) please DO connect the metal enclosure to the earth wire.

The value of the unit might be affected if you go drilling holes in it. I would remove (and keep!) the existing inlet connector, fit a plate over the inside of the hole, with the gland through that. Use a good quality gland such as an M16 Skintop that will securely anchor the cable.

If you want to follow the vintage route, the connector required will probably be a standard female 'domino' connector as used on many radios and TVs of the period. These were based on 5A 2-pin plugs but with shorter pins. This is how I would connect it, with a separate earth lead, because I like to keep old things original.

You can get lots of helpful advice on vintage audio gear like this from people who really know their technical onions, on the vintage radio / TV / audio forums here: UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum
and here:
? View forum - Radio & Audio
There are also people there who undertake repairs and restorations to equipment like this professionally, if you would prefer not to do the mod yourself.

FWIW what cutter heads do you have there? I ask because my old firm used to make and refurbish them for the BBC. We don't have any spares now though!

Last edited:
Here are some more pictures of it. I might do what you suggested and try and by a plug for the current 2 pin one and wire the earth separate. How would i wire the earth? Would i just find a nut and bolt or a screw that's on the metal work and connect it to that?

After some. searching, i can't seem to find a domino connector. Would be grateful if you could, read the previous reply too.

I am not 100% recommending the use of the original type of connector, it would depend on the circumstances. If it is in a domestic environment, it's not a good idea, because the connector when detached would not meet modern expectations of safety e.g. it's not touchproof for a child's finger. I mentioned it merely to add my personal viewpoint - I have many pieces of old electrical gear in original trim that are only accessible to electrically competent persons so it works for me.

Connecting the earth - I would look for a point that is in effective and permanent contact with the parts of the equipment likely to become faulty to the chassis, such as the motor & switch. Judging the best position to connect to, requires a certain amount of electrical experience. I would also test the continuity from that point to other relevant parts, to ensure that the earthing will be effective, before relying on it. The earth lead would also need a mechanical anchorage.

I was only guessing the type of connector required, it could also be the larger 'appliance connector' style mentioned earlier. If you can give diameter and spacing of pins this would become clearer.

Thanks for the extra pics - I never got involved with the BSR models so it wasn't familiar.

The spacing is 13mm between the two and the diameter of the pins are 4-5mm wide (some where in between). Would really like to know what type of connector it is. I belive some parts have been rewired by the previous owner and was used on the odd occasion so as far as i know it works fine but the power lead has been long lost.

Plug has now been found, there is a seller who has about 10 variations of shape of the type of plug i need. It was advertised a bit differently to just 2 pin plug, hence why i couldn't find it. Thanks

Reply to What type of mains lead would i need? Help would be appreciated. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock