Discuss What will the outcome be of my assessment? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well, what happens in the scenario a rewire where the customer does not want chasing of walls you are doing like for like rewire. If you had to do surface ie mini trunking you would be left with the old boxes at the old hights if you were to do Part M.

Thats not quite true as I'm aware. The Documents apply to all building work, with some exemptions.

Part M would not apply to an alteration or extension to an existing dwelling. However, as I and others have already suggested a major refurbishment of a dwelling, e.g. completely renovated for example, requiring structural change, then Part M and others may be applied. There are 'limits on application'.

To say it applies only to new builds, is not quite correct IMO. Sorry if I'm being picky.

I think we are all agreed that in this instance a rewire does not constitute material alteration. But HHD will need to discuss this with his scheme. Its his assessment with them.

I just took it directly from the Part P document.

What will the outcome be of my assessment? 3EAFFB21-31E6-4585-8E83-6B79277E836C - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
In recent years I've used several rewires for my annual assessments with Stroma now non of which were questioned over the socket and switch heights. The only times I've complied with Part M regarding socket and switch heights is on new builds and properties which have been gutted back to brick inside and likely to be used by disabled persons i.e. ground floor flats, bungalows etc. I shouldn't worry about it unless of course your assessor turns up in a wheelchair.

I just took it directly from the Part P document.

I sorter stand corrected. The definition of material change (reg 5), gives 10 examples.

From the online Doc M;
Meaning of material change of use (reg 5), i) the building contains one room for residential purposes, contains a greater or lessor number of such rooms, than it previously did.
I think thats describing alteration or extension?

However, Requirements relating to material change of use (reg 6), does not list i), only change to hotels, institutions etc for application of M1 (access & use).

So give agree with you there.

But then the document bumbles around with not making it less compliant than it previously was or reduction, which I can't decipher! Which was my point really, that Doc M still can apply to an alteration or extension. I still agree that a rewire doesn't constitute a material change of use.

I'll tried to up load that part of the doc, but the screen shot revealed personnel details :oops:. Gardeners weekly & knitting monthly.

This is better;

What will the outcome be of my assessment? Screenshot (2) - EletriciansForums.net

Meaning of material change of use
I think thats describing alteration or extension?
No. change of use specifically means it had one use ie retail or commercial and then became residential. It wouldn't be change of use if you changed the use of a garden into a room!
not making it less compliant than it previously was or reduction, which I can't decipher!
That just means if the sockets are at 300mm you can't lower them but you can keep them at 300mm or higher.

I was recently on a job where an agricultural building which had been in use as a brewery and is now being converted to a dwelling was being wired for its new use as a dwelling. There was a freelance building inspector on site and I specifically asked him if Part M applied and he said no, put the accessories at whatever height the customer wants. I'm with Stroma too but probably won't be taking them to this one on assessment...!

No. change of use specifically means it had one use ie retail or commercial and then became residential. It wouldn't be change of use if you changed the use of a garden into a room!

That just means if the sockets are at 300mm you can't lower them but you can keep them at 300mm or higher.

Your first point, if you read item I) in below, and explain for me?

What will the outcome be of my assessment? Screenshot (3) - EletriciansForums.net

Your second point, its item 0.4 thats a bit gobbledygook.

I haven't the reference to back it up, but I would have thought that brewery to a dwelling job would definitely have triggered the new build clauses for outlet and switch heights. If it didn't (as that inspector says) then is he also saying he doesn't need to see the latest domestic insulation or smoke alarm standards? Just to make a point :) .

You lot don't half enjoy making things hard for yourselves...

By simply fitting pull-cords,you can comply with whatever switch height is demanded,using a pair of scissors :)

This is why,Peter Dinklage put me on Trustatrader.

Reply to What will the outcome be of my assessment? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock