Discuss What Work Can I Do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anthony16090

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi I have completed and passed city and guilds level 3 bs7671:2008(2015)
And the EAL level 3 initial verification and certification, now I know everyone is going to say EAL is rubbish but if it's the only one the college does, not much i can do.
Any ways where do I stand with installing equipment, sockets, lights, consumer units ???
I have been told I can test them, but can I install them, or do I need to get the nvq first or the part p.

To be graded as an electrician you need the NVQ3.
To complete the NVQ3 you need to demonstrate underpinning knowledge, usually with a technical certificate such as the C&G 2365.
The NVQ3 can not be substituted by a load of short courses.

Harsh as it may seem not a great deal if you want to notify work to local authority building control, you need a level 3 qualification, the 2382 shows you can use the index of a book, the EAL qualification is of limited use unless accompanied by a 2365 L3 / 2357 L3 or equivalent. The Part P exam is a waste of time unless you are a kitchen fitter wanting to appear qualified. What do you want to achieve?

I want to achieve a level of work that is safe for my kids.
About six months ago had a new consumer unit fitted, took him 3 days, then had nothing but problems with it, at least one circuit would trip a day, walked around the house with his tester plugging it in every now and again.
Told me everything was fine, everything tested ok and I would receive the documents in the post. I am still waiting, his phone doesn't work anymore, so got me thinking, anyways paid and went to college to learn a bit.
Found out the rcd was bypassed I the box, used the middle neutral bar and just linked it to the first bar ????
I no most sparkys are excellent in what they do, but you get the odd one that puts doubt in your mind. At 38 years of age I think an nvq has passed me lol

Out of interest Anthony what do you do at present, and are we talking a career change or do you just want to be qualified so you can say you are.
either way it is a very intense and expensive road to go down.

I want to achieve a level of work that is safe for my kids.
About six months ago had a new consumer unit fitted, took him 3 days, then had nothing but problems with it, at least one circuit would trip a day, walked around the house with his tester plugging it in every now and again.
Told me everything was fine, everything tested ok and I would receive the documents in the post. I am still waiting, his phone doesn't work anymore, so got me thinking, anyways paid and went to college to learn a bit.
Found out the rcd was bypassed I the box, used the middle neutral bar and just linked it to the first bar ????
I no most sparkys are excellent in what they do, but you get the odd one that puts doubt in your mind. At 38 years of age I think an nvq has passed me lol

Your efforts would be better invested in finding this BELL END that did this work..
and making him put it rite

Failing that then let us know where your based
And I'm sure there will be someone in here who could come round..have a look

Your efforts would be better invested in finding this BELL END that did this work..
and making him put it rite

Yep I agree. Lets just hope that he got the terminations correct at the 100A main switch/fused Iso! God only knows what could happen afterwards? Maybe the next electrician gets a belt from a Live neutral???? Of course tests were carried out once the Iso switch was installed??????

The above is just an example of what can go wrong when a "professional electrician" is on the job.

Advice to the OP. Get an electrician in. 3 days for a board change is taking the mick.

Training as an electrician so you can sort out a problem with your own consumer unit is a non-starter IMO. It might be that the joker who caused all the problems in the first place was in a similar situation - used to be a taxi driver but wanted to be a better provider for his kids so became a domestic installer, however at his time in life didn't see why he should have to do a lengthy course which he associated with kids who messed about at school and set about getting as many certificates as quickly as possible, after all, all he wanted to do was change consumer units in houses so didn't need to be overloaded with unnecessary information.

I don't just have a vivid imagination, this is a common situation.

You're not going to be able to achieve anything by doing exactly the same course as this guy who it appears doesn't have a clue.
The quickest and cheapest option would be if you tell us where you are and a member might be able to come and have a look for you.

Reply to What Work Can I Do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net