Discuss What work can i do?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jakesm20

hi, im an electrician and i finished my 2330 just before the course changed. I am now unsure to what im physically allowed to do on my own.
I don't have my NVQ yet due to constant dodgy jobs such as un-qualified employers, being horribly under paid and just generally being mistreated. ive been through 4 employers in 3 and a half years and am now felling like i will never find employment with a bit of security and where the employer is at least a bit respectful to how hard i work.

The good thing about working with so many people is Ive worked in many different environments so have learnt a lot. i feel confident to do basic full house re-wires alone and have done ( For £20 a DAY! ) including test and inspection. iv'e also gained other bits of knowledge in more specialized areas

I'm now thinking why not do small works on my own through small advertisements? the problem is, am i allowed? i don't want to be a another cowboy. iv'e worked with far to many as it is ; )

Many thanks

no problem with going on your own. to be totally above board as regards part p, get 2382, then join a scam.

thanks for the incredibly fast reply. first what do i need to do to get the 2382? also what do you mean by scam?

dont need to do anything before the 2382 apart from read up on your regs. scam=scheme membership lol
as for work it`s whatever you are "Competent" to do that your allowed to do

to get the 2382 you need to be able to read .................the regs book

Scam is our polite way of describing a Part P self certification scheme....................superimposed scheme for scam

so let me just go through this;

the level im at now is iv'e completed my 2330 and have no NVQ or AM2.
If i get my 2382 and join a scheme i can work independently only on a domestic scale
including test and inspection with my signature on the test sheets?

egggsakkly. the scams ( and elecsa is, IMO, the friendliest to us) require competence in installing and testing, also th 2382 ( 17 edition qual ) to join.

Thank you all so much, this is one of the most helpful and responsive forums i've ever been on.

if theres any other information regarding this subject i should take into consideration please let me know, thanks

Contact the scheme of your choice for more info on what they need from you.
Will usually consist of evidence of your work to show them, demonstrate your skill and safety in installation and testing, posessing the correct documents test equipment and insurance, and having a back pocket full of folding stuff to hand over.

Well being unemployed is just a status, and not a problem when registering is concerned.

If you haven't got a set amount of work done to show a scheme, then IMO best to go with ELECSA. They will want 2 jobs to see, one classed as a major and another a minor ...............a major more often than not is a CU change, a minor will be almost anything really, say installing an outside light or a socket in the garage.

You can do both of these in your own house, or a relatives house as you want

Reply to What work can i do?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock